Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

do i need this belt

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
fitz_vt, are you looking at the ecotec motor or the V8 motor? The V8's have a seperate belt just for the air conditioning compressor.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
fitz_vt, are you looking at the ecotec motor or the V8 motor? The V8's have a seperate belt just for the air conditioning compressor.
Nope the Holden Ecotec came without a Air - conditioner says so on page 40 at the bottom there is a diagram a V6 w/o air con v6 with Aircon and then the V8

Lol. i didnt read the post properly lol. vt SS duh..... V8 lol.....
yeah i would just remove the belt for the airconditioner it wont hurt anything.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Nope the Holden Ecotec came without a Air - conditioner says so on page 40 at the bottom there is a diagram a V6 w/o air con v6 with Aircon and then the V8
I DO know this. Topic poster has a VT SS meaning a V8. In which case this question is assumed to be targeted at the V8's, in which case they have 3 drive belts. The belt that was asked about goes from the harmonic balancer to the a/c compressor with one tensioner. This belt is not needed.

Therefore there is NO need to replace the belt with a smaller belt. I am fairly sure you were looking at the V6's then. Thats what i meant by my last post.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i corrected my post LOL.i didnt read the info provided properly lol...... VT SS lol its a V8 it didnt come in a 6.........

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
has anyone run the non ac belt on their v6?
is there any difference noticed when driving? honestly?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
VT SS lol its a V8 it didnt come in a 6.........

Actually... The VT SS was available with a supercharged V6. They are rare but I have seen a few around on the net.

Also I don't see how removing the A/C compressor belt would gain any power increase, the pulley runs a clutch system and when the A/C is not in use the pulley is simply free-spinning hence no extra load on the motor. Surely any minuscule gain would not be noticeable, surely not the 20% that has been claimed in this thread.

Capt Baldman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon
Go to Repco.. just ask for a Belt to suit Vehicle without Air-con, they have them

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Actually... The VT SS was available with a supercharged V6. They are rare but I have seen a few around on the net.

Also I don't see how removing the A/C compressor belt would gain any power increase, the pulley runs a clutch system and when the A/C is not in use the pulley is simply free-spinning hence no extra load on the motor. Surely any minuscule gain would not be noticeable, surely not the 20% that has been claimed in this thread.

wow. didnt know that one i thought they only came in a v8 interesting piece of information. thanks vn6pwr.
it is proven that the AC works as stated above on a clutch system when the AC button is pressed on the climate control or air conditioning control panel an actuator disables the clutch, and then the air conditioner works, you will only notice a power increase of about 2% when driving but only if you constantly have the air conditioner on always, if you never had the air conditioner there would be no performance increase, it would purely be a psychological, my car has more power now.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
2% if your using it? Are you serious? Go throw on your air conditioning and try flooring it from the lights. You'll find more than 2% power drain to the compressor!

Yes they have a clutch, however have you seen the wobble plate and control valve in them? This regulates the compressor. Why would you have this setup if you needed it to perform in a high drain situation and off only? Instead the compressors work in a high drain, low drain (no a/c on) and off mode. As to when it's actually used i couldn't say. But the compressor does vent gases into the crankcase.