Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do i need to pay her? My rights?

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
She might call in 4 years time now. She's got 6 years after all :p

dynamytedave

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SS-V Redline SportWagon, 2003 CV8R Monaro
Firstly, always take photos at the scene with the rego number of damaged car in full view, and pics of the driver in view don't hurt either. Close up and wide angle shots. And always take a pic of the rego label, I had a bingle once in QLD in a semi turning around a corner and took out this blokes bumper off of his Fairlane, took all the pics and the buggers car was out of rego. I wasn't at fault in the first place, thanks to the big DO NOT OVERTAKE TURNING VEHICLE signs all over the back of the trailer. No rego no worries, see ya mate.

Secondly, if $900 worth of damage was done to your friends car, surely a mere scratch to the other car is not going to be the full extent of the damage.

Last of all, if it went to court you'd be paying for what ever damage you caused on her car and any that happened afterwards, simply because you have no photographic evidence to support your case or a quote from smash repair shop.

Always report it to the Police as soon as possible. And NEVER admit liability, especially in front of a witness.

But for now, I'd put on an accent if she rings back and say Me no speak engrish.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Secondly, if $900 worth of damage was done to your friends car, surely a mere scratch to the other car is not going to be the full extent of the damage.

My front left guard and part of my bumper hit her rear left bumper only, no panels. Just left a mark on it, no dents or cracks. Was doing about 5km/h, so was only a small bingle.

dynamytedave

Reaction score
Members Ride
My front left guard and part of my bumper hit her rear left bumper only, no panels. Just left a mark on it, no dents or cracks. Was doing about 5km/h, so was only a small bingle.

Sorry man, but thats something that I just don't get. In your first post you said it cost you about $900 to fix your friends car, so obviously there was a bit of damage. A busted indicator, fitted by a panel beater and a bit of bog work and some paint's not gunna cost $900. I had a VN ages ago that was modified by a baseball bat wielding Samoan who smashed the front windscreen, and put three dents in the A pillar. When it was repaired the rainchannel garnish was replaced and a full interior detail to remove the shards of glass, filled the dents with bog, blended the pillar and entire roof with metallic paint and a coat of clear and that cost $1500 by Bonnyrigg Smash, who aren't exactly bargain basement operators. They do high end rods and show cars as the core business.

Help us out here, what kinda cars were involved? Were you driving a pimped out Bugatti Veyron with a Gold Flake paint job and was she in a Sherman Tank?

I don't want to get you going, but for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
My friend backed into my car and broke the tailight and put a small dint in the rear quarter panel, cost i think 900 cash. It depends who you go to, just because you got certain work done at a particular workshop doesnt make it the definitive bench mark for panel beating work.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
Sorry man, but thats something that I just don't get. In your first post you said it cost you about $900 to fix your friends car, so obviously there was a bit of damage. A busted indicator, fitted by a panel beater and a bit of bog work and some paint's not gunna cost $900. I had a VN ages ago that was modified by a baseball bat wielding Samoan who smashed the front windscreen, and put three dents in the A pillar. When it was repaired the rainchannel garnish was replaced and a full interior detail to remove the shards of glass, filled the dents with bog, blended the pillar and entire roof with metallic paint and a coat of clear and that cost $1500 by Bonnyrigg Smash, who aren't exactly bargain basement operators. They do high end rods and show cars as the core business.

Help us out here, what kinda cars were involved? Were you driving a pimped out Bugatti Veyron with a Gold Flake paint job and was she in a Sherman Tank?

I don't want to get you going, but for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

it depends on the repair place, i had a rear end of a vn chopped out and put on for a grand and it was very straight job, bent a panhard bracket after i went sideways in a box curb, cost 700 to bend the bracket out (same place), then i got t boned for 2 g i had two doors replaced, center pillar pulled out and it all blended . i gave a 4x4 a scratch when it look out my arse end, ended up costing 4 grand for a scratched bull bar and all these plastics under the bonnet

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi

I only read the first line of your post, but have you ever been in the crash repair industry and seen what things cost. That small dent on his friends car ill mean painting and colour matching the 1/4 and front bar. as well as supplying a front bar depending how badly its cracked. For comparison, someone i know had to replace a front bar on some little toyota thing, and it cost $600 for the bar alone.

900 to fix his friends car sounds to me like he got out of it cheaply. Why do you think theres so many cars driving around with small dents, if it was cheap, everyone would get them fixed.

dynamytedave

Reaction score
Members Ride
My friend backed into my car and broke the tailight and put a small dint in the rear quarter panel, cost i think 900 cash. It depends who you go to, just because you got certain work done at a particular workshop doesnt make it the definitive bench mark for panel beating work.

I'm not saying that Bonno smash is the benchmark, infact I'd never go back there. But being an enthusiast and wanting quality work, I wasn't about to go see the el cheapo nasty's so I decided to go there because they had a good reputation. My car had to go back because they didn't prep the nicky properly and ended up with a pin hole in the paint. And when they took it to the detailers around the corner, an unknown party took it for a spin and put it into the gutter, bending the Z-Bar, knocking the whole front end out of alignment. Have you seen Ben Gatt's 39 Lincoln Zephyr in the flesh at a show? Bonnyrigg Smash done his car. Bonno smash have HOK accreditation, not everyone can just ring up and gain that kind of rep. They do do good work, I was unlucky. Once bitten twice shy.

Stealthy, as you admitted to only reading the first line, I suggest you read the whole post, if your span of attention allows for it. And yeah I see your point about running into Toyota's. They're well known for their outrageously overpriced replacement panels and parts.

Zuicider, you had a few ups and downs hey? Catching the bus might be a better option for you judging by your bad luck. $4k for a bar and some plastics? That's a rip off. But your other stuff seems reasonably charged.

Seriously, even Adam said himself that were no dents or cracks to the car he hit, just a mark, so where's the $900 worth of damage done to the car he was driving? For arguments sake lets say the spray painter charges $50 an hour labour and used a very generous 1 litre of paint (( group 3 $120/l) most family sedans need 4 litres for a whole spray job) and a bit of bog to repair his friends car. You don't have to remove the bar or guard for a quick repair so theres 3 hours not used. Maybe a new indicator lense, maybe $80. So theres $200 for paint and an indicator, unless the spray painter was a heroin user and took a slow 12 hours to prep and paint, that comes to $800 plus gst. Yeah that must be it.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I didn't need to read the rest of yor post, (tho i did go over it just then for arguments sake)
Haha, and it says $1500 for a simple a Piller respray and windscreen. You answered your own question basically.

What panel beater do you use? I got quoted $1200 just to spray and fit a SS kit to my car. No colour matching, just paint, and fit.

Theres no way it would cost $200 to repair, unless you were doing a dodgy. Considering he was borrowing a friends car, it only makes sense that he had it repaired accordingly, not a cheapo quick fix.

Thought it would be worth mentioning years ago, a guy i know crashed into the back of a gemini at low speed (maybe 20k's), the gemini became a sedan, all crumpled in, and his tank (XD Falcoon) only needed to get a scratch polished out of the bar.