Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do i need to pay her? My rights?

dynamytedave

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SS-V Redline SportWagon, 2003 CV8R Monaro
Well I could go rifling through all my old correspondence and crud to find the itemised quote to satisfy you, but I couldn't care less about your needs or wants. But it went something along the lines of: interior detail to remove glass shards; colourmatch, repair, paint and blend a pillar and roof; remove, supply and replace rainchannel garnish; remove broken screen and replace. Which I think $1500 is a reasonable price for the work done. BUT the price wasn't really an issue due to the fact that the knob who did the damage was found guilty of malicious damage and forced to pay for the damages, so if it was $1500 or $15000, I didn't care because I wasn't paying.

Honestly mate, do the maths, if the repair took a reasonable 6 hours to complete with only the bits I listed, $900 is a bit overcharged. But as ol' mate Adsy hasn't elaborated upon what car he was in or exactly damage was done and subsequent repairs were made or what kind of paint the car wears or a whole heap of other variables, at this point it's all speculation from everyones perspective.

Once again, re-read the post and I mention a few times who did the work on my car.

I didn't say the job should be a $200 cheapo, the $200 you're refering to is the approximate cost of parts and paint, then labour on top, which I put down at an outrageous 12 hours at $50/h, plus GST, which puts it at $880. I merely rationally added up approximate costs of the work, that once again, was speculated upon because all relevant facts were not readily available at the time. By the looks of things the majority of what was charged was labour. But then again maybe he unwittingly used the services of an unscroupulous operator who has a penchant for overcharging. The lesson there is always get a second or third quote.

But it seems as though we have drifted from my main point, if theres $900 worth of damage to his friends car and only a scratch to the other vehicle, it seems a bit odd. As he said, it all happened at the break-neck speed of 5km/h. Any rational train of thought would lead you to the conclusion that not much damage occurs at 5km/h. There was an ADR introduced some time ago that stated that new cars with plastic bumpers would be made of a form of plastic that will retain it's original shape in an accident up to the speed of 8km/h. Go check the relevant ADR for the full explanation. This was introduced in a bid to reduce the amount of insurance claims for the exact kind of scenario which we are discussing here. These bumpers, as well the front guards on Nissan X-Trails which are plastic, among others, are painted in a special flexible formulation to combat cracking of the paint when involved in low velocity impacts.

Your mates Falcon must have had a bull bar fitted or the Gemi was chockers with rust for that to happen.

So Stealthy, old chap, go raid yo mama's medicine cabinet and pinch one of her valiums and settle down. Then take your time reading posts by others, then form a rational argument to put across your irrational thoughts on the matter.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Speculation - exactly. For what he's mentioned, it seems between average and above average for the repairs. Nothing out of the ordinary tho. The other girl involved just seems like she wants her car perfect when she sells, and is trying to cash in.
The question - what panel beater do you use was not really asking who it was, but who charges that much.

Why are you going on about it?

In the case of the falcoon and gemini, no, it was a gemini that was stationary, versus a falcoon travelling about 20 (i say 20, as its a corner, and he wouldn't have been able to pick up much speed)

dynamytedave

Reaction score
Members Ride
I reckon I summed it up fairly well in my last post, which should have put it to bed. But alas, all I have done is thread another worm on the hook and reeled you in again.

All I want to know is what damage occured to Adam's friend's car and what kind of car it is. From there we can gauge whether a $900 repair was good value.

"What panelbeater do you use?" in any interpretation or context, means exactly that, what panelbeater do you use. If you wanted to know "What panelbeater charges that much?", you should have phrased the question as such. And as a point of interest, the answer to both questions is the same, Bonnyrigg Smash Repairs. Who I will not seek the services of again, or recommend anyone to use due to my bad experience with them, as outlined in one of my previous posts in this thread.

It may seem to you as I'm going on about it, but you raised questions and comments that deserved a response. And I'm fully entitled to offer a response and reasons as to the how's and why's involved in my experiences. I will go on a bit about it now though, go add up the costs involved in the repairs done to my car and it's not overlypriced at all. By memory the detail was $150, yeah a bit much but we're talking about tiny shards of shattered glass that are a real pain to remove, and removal and replacment of the windscreen was about $350, again shattered windscreens are a bit of a pain to deal with, so theres $500, which leaves the remaining balance of $1000, oh yeah minus the gst of about $145, makes for $855 for paint, parts and labour. When you break it down I don't think it seems so expensive anymore. And I'll take this oppurtunity to thank the Samoan gentleman with the baseball bat for supplying me with a new windscreen and a freshly painted roof.

Oh yeah, I agree with you on the whole cashing in aspect of it. But if you damage something you are both morally and legally required to rectify the problem. The fact still remains that damage he caused to the other car has not been repaired.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Oh, i didn't realise you get the last say and thats it. My bad. All yours now ;)

dynamytedave

Reaction score
Members Ride
No, not at all, be my guest, I just thought my points were valid and they might have needed further explaining after being the subject of criticism, and also may have an impact in helping people see my point of view. But then again points of view are like arseholes, everyones got one, it's just that mine is louder and smellier than most people's and have a tendency to alienate and offend others. Over to you for rebuttal.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
i noticed panel beaters usually cost things on 15 to 30 minute brakets, at times they have different classes when to comes to pricesof labour and 50 an hour ? where where i will get my car painted by them! more around the 80 90 mark you would find. also if an apprentice is doing the work and takes twice the time they will still charge normal rate