Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do the VF SV6 has oil consumption problem?

sosadpigpig

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Gday mates,

I'm considering buying a used 2014 VF SV6 with 160,000km on the clock, but I'm worried about its engine oil consumption. I've seen numerous complaints from people about VE/VE2 SV6 models consuming a lot of oil. To my knowledge, the engine in the VF SV6 is the same as the one in the VE/VE2 models.

So, my questions are: Does the VF SV6 also commonly experience excessive engine oil consumption? Are there any other bothersome issues with the VF SV6? I would greatly appreciate any insights or advice.

Thanks!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
SIDI's are renowned for turning high quality motor oil into vapor and sludge...

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Pretty much every VE/VF V6 had oil consumption issues.

As said above, sludge is a major problem with these too.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Pretty much every VE/VF V6 had oil consumption issues.

As said above, sludge is a major problem with these too.
I heard that oil consumption was an issue on a batch of engines, not all.

Personally my Ly7 sv6 is running 10w 30, and is at 220xxx. Only one grade thicker than factory which is to be expected from the K’s

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I heard that oil consumption was an issue on a batch of engines, not all.

Personally my Ly7 sv6 is running 10w 30, and is at 220xxx. Only one grade thicker than factory which is to be expected from the K’s
Alloytecs/SIDI's share common problems, low tension piston rings cause excessive blow by, inadequate PCV system.
The SIDI's can also suffer high pressure fuel leaks into the crank case, diluting the oil, causing even more blow by.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Definitely was with the VE's. Not sure why Holden tried to build an OHC engine and carried over the poor PCV system issues from the earlier V6 models. And nor sure how the stretched chain issue didn't become a Class action in Australia. But these are issues not only with GM's and seems that oil manufacturers have tried to remedy some of this with the latest oil classifications due to emissions requirements. Blow by and poor PCV can be remedied or improved by the latest oil classifications, but fuel into the crankcase is a difficult one. All petrol engines get fuel into the oil so it depends on what is meant by excessive. Using the latest oil will more more critical than going thicker as you don't have that luxury. Look at the current SP oil rating and what it is meant to remedy....pretty all mentioned above :) Wasnt there a fix for the PCV issue ?

SP - Introduced from May 2020, with added performance benefits required to meet the demands of modern engine technology – including, engine downsizing, gasoline direct injection (GDI), turbocharging and gasoline particulate filters (GPFs). Engine oils meeting the requirements of API SP deliver several performance advantages versus current API SN and API SN PLUS categories for spark-ignited internal combustion engines, including:

• Low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) mitigation throughout the drain interval
  • Engine and chain wear performance
  • Corrosion protection
  • Emissions system compatibility
  • Oxidation stability
  • Deposit control
  • Sludge and varnish protection

Last edited: