Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do you apply the handbrake waiting at lights?

alexp36

Keep honkin-I'm reloading
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Stupid question really.
But I've noticed lately, sitting at lights EVERY car sits there with their brake lights on. Even when it's a big intersection, long phase on the lights, and it's only just gone red.
So... everyone is sitting there for minutes at a time with their foot on the brake.

I habitually put on the handbrake, and take my foot off the brake when I know it's going to be more than just a few seconds. Am I the only one? Anyone else notice this?

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
Don't forget that half (if not more) cars are Automatic so its just easier to keep the foot on the brake.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I drive a manual, rarely use the handbrake. It's more effort to put it on/off than to rest my foot on the brake, which is usually all the effort it takes to keep the car still. It also means the rear lights are on, helps people see you.

Even for hill starts I don't use the handbrake - the flywheel weighs a ton (hard to stall) and I know the clutch well enough that it's easy to quickly find the right friction point to stop the car rolling back at all.

GLITRES

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8 6 litre
verynice hit the nail on the head with his comment.
I used the handbrake in my old car (now sold) but in my calais, its auto and alot easier to just use my foot

alexp36

Keep honkin-I'm reloading
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Yeah, I know what you guys are saying. I can hill start a manual without the handbrake too, although using the handbrake is more correct for a number of reasons.
But, if you start using the handbrake at lights, you might find it is actually easier than holding the brake the whole time. Reason being is you can take your foot off the brake and rest it on the floor.
Also, you can actually move off more quickly (believe it or not) coming off the handbrake. Reason being, you don't have to move your foot from the brake to the gas, when you know you are about to move off, you can just sit with hand on handbrake, holding the button, and foot over gas pedal. The only thing that's quicker is left foot braking (which I also got used to doing years ago when I had a slightly clapped-out HQ which wouldn't idle, and had no handbrake, so I had to left foot brake, and keep it revving with the right foot).

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
i rest my foot on the brake (manual) mainly because of visibility. i want ppl behind me to see im stopped.

Dosent work all the time i was at a maccas drive though took my foot off the brake to find my throttle and clutch and got hit from behind ( the driver behind forgot i was in a manual and it dosent creep forward) wont mention any names *cough* ashbox *cough* lol.

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VC L, VK Vacationer
Never bothered much with the handbrake when my car was auto. Now I've converted to a manual, I find at flat intersections resting my foot on the brake pedal works fine, but on a slope(sloping up towards the intersection) I have to use the handbrake for the hill start because I'm still running 2.78 diff gears which are really way too tall for the manual box and its really easy to stall.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
hey guys is it worth throwing it into park at the lights?
eg long stops at busy intersections.
The Vn tends to resonate and vibrate the whole car when its in D and my foot on brake, so putting it into Park seems to cut out the resonating -
- id assume its because when in D the transmission is trying to make the car idle forward but the brakes are not allowing it to, so putting it into P means that the engine can idle freely and easily..
yes/no/opinions?
thanks guys

:lock: -only cos it looks funny haha