Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do you ever replace wheel hubs based on kms

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I did the brakes yesterday and for the second time in a row I'm left wondering what I am doing wrong - or if indeed the wheel hubs are warped.
When I replace the rotors and put the brake callipers mounting plates back on. I then spin the wheel hub and the rotors do not spin straight in the middle of the calliper bracket, in fact it spins enough to scratch slightly the surface of the Enshield coating ( on the DBA rotors ). The spinning trajectory is like a warp, it moves from one side of the bracket to the middle and then the other side
This can't be right? Now I want to confirm that I used a wire brush on a drill to clean the hub surface, it looks good, no rust spots, no uneven layer of anything.. I also made sure the rotor was as vertical as could be by using a pair of opposing wheel nuts to hold the rotor on.
This problem happens on BOTH sides of the car. I recall last time I changed rotors the same thing happened but because it made no effect to driving or braking I forgot about it or ignored it.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
You would need use at least 3 wheel nuts to hold the rotor straight because 2 won't be opposite each other on a 5 stud hub. If it brakes smoothly without pulsing then it sounds ok

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I can hear ( sometimes) the scrape of the brake pad hardware against the rotor, while I am driving ( and my head out the window )
It's not gouging it but it just scratches it..
So theres no way the hubs can be warped on both ? It does seem unlikely both are warped.
yes, it's breaking smoothly

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the rotors have run out I'd say you would get shudder. If you don't have shudder I'd say the rotors should be ok.