Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do you think i have lost my P's?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I agree CSP but if you have ever driven through the Blue Mountains over the Great Western Highway then you would be aware that there are more speed limit changes than you can poke a stick at. Whilst yes we should drive to the conditions etc it was once easy to be able to work out the speed limit if it wasnt signposted. If there were street lights it was normally 60km/h and other places were generally 100km/h. Now we have every speed in 10km/h increments from 10km/hr up to 110km/h. Even as a Cop i think its unfair to enforce speed limits that arent clearly signposted, especially in areas where they change all the time. On the open highway or in a road work site is different. Common sense should prevail though and nearly 20km/h over is generally hard to justify.

I agree that, in NSW at least, the multiplicity of speed limits is an issue. It was made worse when the 50km/h limit was introduced within residential and built up areas. Some major roads through suburbs carry a 70 limit, some a 60. You can be aware from it's nature/width etc, that the road you are on is outside the 50 zones, but the signs indicating the speed are infrequent and, if you assume it's a 70 when it's only a 60 zone, you can get pinged before the next speed sign appears. This can be a problem when you are travelling unfamiliar roads and the safest answer is to drive to the lower limit. School zones just add to the complexity because of the start and finish times - some zones' 40 limit hours of operation are different to others.

However, for the OP, 57 in a 40 zone on P's won't do your license any good, I guess.

Ace_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Pac
I agree that, in NSW at least, the multiplicity of speed limits is an issue. It was made worse when the 50km/h limit was introduced within residential and built up areas. Some major roads through suburbs carry a 70 limit, some a 60. You can be aware from it's nature/width etc, that the road you are on is outside the 50 zones, but the signs indicating the speed are infrequent and, if you assume it's a 70 when it's only a 60 zone, you can get pinged before the next speed sign appears. This can be a problem when you are travelling unfamiliar roads and the safest answer is to drive to the lower limit. School zones just add to the complexity because of the start and finish times - some zones' 40 limit hours of operation are different to others.

However, for the OP, 57 in a 40 zone on P's won't do your license any good, I guess.

Yep, my point exactly. Its my job to enforce traffic laws and i will be the last one to condone people trying to get out of a ticket, but sometimes people are issued tickets unfairly.

For example at Charles Sturt Uni in Wagga there are massive 40km/hr signs when you come in the main front gates, but if you went in the back road to the other side of the campus which is also shared by the NSW Institute of Ag you come in on a road that is 60km/hr and turn off this straight into the Uni which then becomes 40km/hr. So if you come into the uni from that side you could drive all around the Uni and not know its 40km/hr.

White Tiger

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VY Berlina, RB30 GQ Patrol
a couple of years ago i got done 126 in a 100 zone and didn't lose my license

Ace_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Pac
a couple of years ago i got done 126 in a 100 zone and didn't lose my license

Were you on your P's though?

The whole instan loss of licence for speeding offences when on your P's may not have been in then, not sure when it came in but its not tha old.

Gigantic VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
thanks for your answers guys atleast i wont be in shock when i find out i lose them haha and the bright side i will save a couple of grand because i wont need to spend it on fuel XD

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
This is probably not the best place to look for answers to traffic offences, if you ring your local RTA place (if you have those in SA) or the police station. They would be the best people to talk to.

Ace_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Pac
This is probably not the best place to look for answers to traffic offences, if you ring your local RTA place (if you have those in SA) or the police station. They would be the best people to talk to.

Or look here, even the police and the RTA dont know them off by heart, if you need to clue up or check any specific road rules/laws this site is great, has everything on it, for every state and territory, here is the road traffic act for SA. Most will be similar but there will be differences.

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT 1961

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
Read the exbiation notice man, unless it states a fine for breach of p's he's been a good fella an let you off for that,

i was doing 117 in a 110 zone at night, 1 point loss, 200 something buck fine warning for p's breach

sjmcc

Reaction score
Website
www.hawthornweightlifting.com
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I love how people think they're entitled to get out of speeding fines/penalties for [insert any excuse here].

The answer is SIMPLE. Don't speed. If you don't know what the speed limit is on the road you're travelling on and/or don't know what speed you're doing, then you should probably re-think your decision to even have a licence.

I agree with this to a dgeree, and I say that beacuse a good example of what Ace_VP is talking about is my drive from home to University. Along one road the speed limit changes between 60, 70 and 80 (plus 40Km/h in school hours) 7 times. This is over a distance that takes about 5-10 mins to cover. I could understand if you didn't know the area that you could potentially miss a speed change in there (one of the 70-60Km/h speed signs is partly secluded behind a tree). Of course, if you were clocked at 85Km/h or the like there is no issue as that's above the upper limit entirely, but I could see how you could be doing 65Km/h thinking it was a 70Km/h speed zone.

Just another example was when the State Government (VIC) built a new road extension, which meant that more traffic would now be in a new location. To help compensate for this (I gather) one of the connecting roads which is used was dropped from 60Km/h to a permanent 40Km/h zone. Now, to be fair, there were large signs displaying the new 40Km/h speed zone, which thankfully I noticed the first time I travelled on this road after the construction work had been completed. However, I could understand how drivers comfortable with the area could have missed it. Of course, straight after this happened, I spotted mobile speed camera's in this location frequently.

I'm not saying that these isolated examples warrant any sort of 'I don't deserve my fine' policy, but the cynic in me is riled up when I see mobile speed cameras placed in areas that are 'tricky' to negotiate and where it seems to my untrained eye that slightly increased speed wouldn't be a massive contributor to accidents. Personally I think if the government wanted to revenue raise through drivers, wack a cop (even covertly if need be) at level crossings, pedestrian crossings/traffic lights and the such. I can't (although some probably could) think of any legitimate circumstance under which you could power through a pedestrian crossing and line up an excuse.

For the record I have never been fined or even pulled over by the police, so I'm not just having a bitch beause I'm seething over a fine or the like.

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
I had a mate that got done on the eastern distributer(nsw) doing 95 in a 80 zone and the very next day he got done for 52 in a 40 zone..and he's still driving around...he is a bit of an idiot though, he drives a vl turbo sometimes which he isn't meant to...ahh well, you should be right