Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

dodgy holden dealers and mechanics

Burnout_bro

Reaction score
Members Ride
HYPER VX SS/ R33 GTST
i live in canberra and my mate works at a holden work shop (no names) anyway he tells me stories all the time where people have been ripped off, in one incident he told me a mechanic rubbed brake pads onto concrete so the customer would replace them, another was they quoted a lady 4 hours or something crazy for a waterpump gasket, it just annoys me that even the old holden dealers are doing the dodgy.

dodgy

Reaction score
When my other half got her VP (before she met me) she had it serviced at a Holden Dealership and was told that the brakes needed to be replaced. She told them that they were roadworthy as the car just had a roadworthy test done and took the car. On the way home the brakes started failing and when her local mechanic looked at it (that night) the master cylinder was empty. The dealership was in Melbourne

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
canberra holden dealers are fuggin idiots. ive had nothing but bad service, poor work and lame excuses. as ive said before, the only reason my car will ever go to a dealer to get work done is if it is warrenty work. other then that ill take it else where.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
canberra holden dealers are fuggin idiots. ive had nothing but bad service, poor work and lame excuses. as ive said before, the only reason my car will ever go to a dealer to get work done is if it is warrenty work. other then that ill take it else where.

So you are happy to get dodgy work done if it was free? From experience, warranty work is more dodgy than paid work, even though the dealer gets reimbursed from GMH for warranty they get a fixed rate, so they take short cuts.

vk3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
BT50............ while the vk is rebuilt
My local dealer told me that i need the brake pads change as they only had 4mm left. That was 20,000kms ago and there still on the car.
Price of a service when the car was under used car warranty was double what i'm now paying a differnet mechanic.

sganro

i speak before i think
Reaction score
Members Ride
yet another VS
Yeah mechanics definately have a reputation for quoting rediculous things and ripping off people who dont know much about cars.
Luckily for me my dad owns his own mechanic business so im pretty confident in getting good work done lol.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
So you are happy to get dodgy work done if it was free? From experience, warranty work is more dodgy than paid work, even though the dealer gets reimbursed from GMH for warranty they get a fixed rate, so they take short cuts.
because i basiclly have no choice and if its not right ill take it back again and again until it is. unfortunatly there is only 2 holden dealers in canberra and both of them suck. i see exactly what you are saying and i agree 100%, but when it comes down to it the options are simple... let idiots do free work on your car to fix problems, or leave it and pay for it later down the track.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I won't take my car to a Holden dealer. They are known to charge an arm and a leg. I take my car to Mitchell Service Centre and they always do a good job and will call me and get my approval if they need to replace/fix something that might be costly.