Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dodgy Looking VY Engine Number Questions

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
I'm still pondering what you really meant by "without your consent"
Does that mean they readilly rectified their mistake and you didn't want them to? Or
Does that mean you are unhappy with a 2nd hand engine vs a new one? You wont be finding new crate motors laying around easilly. Or
Does that mean you feel you deserve a reco/rebuilt motor or
Does that mean you wanted your original engine rebuilt to retain matching numbers?

It's a pretty stupid mistake to make on their part with the oil filter falling off, from the looks of things, they've seen that as human beings mistakes get made and have immediately jumped in and provided you with an engine that runs and fitted it to your car so you can drive it.

Please explain what is really bothering you?

How many kay's has the replacement engine supposed to have on it? Does it run and have the same power/economy as your original one?

It seems to me that long story short, **** happened, they jumped in and rectified their mistake in good faith and you're crying about semantics.

Engine number seems ok, but if the number seems strange to you and you're fussy enough to notice, why haven't you noticed the original engine number format on old rego papers etc and compared it to that?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
to clarify guys... I said corporations, not small-medium businesses.

on_d_tox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS spac S2
i agree they have replaced the motor cos they fkd up the only thing i wld have done is perhaps ask for the old motor back (used it as a project and rebuilt it) and my advice is dont go to KMART tyre and auto the only thing kmart is sorta good for is clothes and crap lol and they aint even good at that.

jamieaus

Reaction score
Website
www.japada.com.au
Members Ride
VN
Hi Guys,

They advised they were fitting a new engine not a secondhand one if I was told they were fitting a second hand engine I would have paid the extra to have a reconditioned one installed. This is why I gave them the car. I also understand that they did not have to replace it with a new one but what they do have to do under the law is replace the engine with one that is equal to the one they stuffed up. After I discovered that they have fitted a secondhand engine I have been attempting to get the history of the engine they have fitted and they will not provide me with any will not return my calls etc. I have spoken to head office the regional manager and no response.

And Yes I am working on filling in the paperwork for VCAT.

Hope this helps you understand how they fitted the engine, and the lack of forthcoming information is why I am upset..

Last edited: