Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does anyone own a pet snake?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Hey guy's i'm interested in getting a pet snake, and i was wondering if anyone on the forum has one, and if so what type, and what has been your experience with them?

I've never been in contact with one before, and i know very little about them, apart from what i've read on the internet.I was keen on a "Corn" snake, but then i found out that they are illeagal to be kept as pets in Australia as they are considered a pest.What would be some other types of snakes (non_venomous) that i can look at, preferably that don't grow to be too big.

Cheers

Kirbs

L plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS II
Stimpsons pythons, Make a great pet and dont grow to big. They are also quite cheap. You will need a license to keep them and a suitable enclosure, Which will have to be inspected before you get your license. Search on google, There is a very very useful forum called aussie reptiles or something.
Cheers

Rubber_Burnin_Gal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S2
you know what i think you can do with snakes dont you????...........same thing as Borat is doing with that mankini in ur avatar pic! LOL eeeeeeeeeeeeeek i HATE snakes, my friend scares the hell out of me with hers when im over there by putting it on me if im laying on the couch!!!!!

Killawarra

My Ride^^^
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
As far as keeping one, Kirbs is right, you will need a license suitable for the type of snake (or whatever reptile) you get. And a suitable enclosure.
As far as snakes go, I've had a Carpet Python, and a Black Headed Python. Both were never any kind of aggressive.
They both grew rather large though. The Black Headed Python was a fantastic pet, always relaxed with anyone. Sometimes a bit territorial though. Unfortunately though, he developed a tumor in his head last year and had to be put down.
I think they're awesome pets, expensive to start with (ie. the snake, tank, permit, thermostat, lights, etc) but they're cheap to feed, and reasonably low maintenance.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Dont have snakes but I do have a 4ft Snake tank for sale $250 :p

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
you know what i think you can do with snakes dont you????...........same thing as Borat is doing with that mankini in ur avatar pic! LOL eeeeeeeeeeeeeek i HATE snakes, my friend scares the hell out of me with hers when im over there by putting it on me if im laying on the couch!!!!!

What if i get a bearded dragon lizard?Their pretty cool:)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Hey guy's i've got the info on how to obtain the license, i might do the licensing first, and then go from their.Thanks

melissasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
One thing I learnt from a friend but was don't feed your snake in their enclosure..

My friend got lazy a few times and now when she puts anything in the enclosure the snake wants to eat it lol.

But they are beautiful animals, we're getting one at work soon.

Rubber_Burnin_Gal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S2
you can feed them in the tank, just not LIVE food as it teaches them to strike ect, so when ya put ya hand in next time ya might get bitten! LOL

bearded dragons r $hitheads too!!! we have a wild one here who comes on our back verandah and the little prick hisses at if i get too close!

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
Geoff (Wagon Wheel) has a couple of snakes, and im pretty sure has the bearded dragon too.