Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

does the fuel pump assembly sit in the tank a certain way? got stalling issues...

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
so after fitting the new fuel pump in my VT V6, im having stalling issues when the fuel drops below 1/4 of a tank. and it only happens when turning right - engine just dies, pull over and restart the car n drive away.... ive assumed its because the fuel sloshes to the left of the tank away from the fuel pump pick up??? or have i installed the assembly incorrectly in the tank??? this never happend with the old pump, i was able to do almost 100km on empty before fueling up. when i installed it back into the tank i put it back in what i assume was the same position i pulled it out...i could be wrong though but im pretty sure its in the same position as before...

the new pump is the same as the old one im sure, i didnt check but im pretty certain they're the same....

what have i done wrong? cheers

VTEZN

TEAZN U
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT S Series 2 5 Speed
hey bro i had the same problem it could be 2 things...
1. When you replaced your pump did you insert the sock on the outside of the sending unit replacing the old?? Or did u fit it directly onto the pump amd re install it? the sock goes on the outside of the sending unit facing the opposite side of the tank.
2. A common problem for the VT commodore after a fuel pu8mp fails is that the sending unit module craps itself olng with the pump best get another one from peps or so u dont need a genuine item from holden ask for a unit from AFI much cheaper and does the same thing.
Hope u work it out get back to me on it.