Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] door trim glue removal

sleepinvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
99" vt berlina
hello, i got a mate to remove my door strips, however, he did a dodge job, and im left with black glue on my white car...not pretty. how can i remove this? have spent a few hours scrubbing, and it is SSLLLOWWWLLLLYYYY working, but there has to be a quicker way?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
hello, i got a mate to remove my door strips, however, he did a dodge job, and im left with black glue on my white car...not pretty. how can i remove this? have spent a few hours scrubbing, and it is SSLLLOWWWLLLLYYYY working, but there has to be a quicker way?

It's going to be a bugger of a job any way you slice it.
I've used metho in the past to get sticky remains off and it hasn't done any harm. You have to keep applying it and let it soak in. The sticky becomes soft and peels off.
Metho is a spirit and evaporates quickly. It's not a hydrocarbon like prepwash and won't tend to hurt the paint (as much). Any chemicals like these is not real good for any surface so only use a minimum ammount and don't go sloshing it around. Keep to the area in question.
I then wash the section strait away and apply a polish as metho tends to dry things out.
For god's sake be careful what you use on the car. Don't go using to harsh a chemical just because it will remove it fast.
It's best to use something soft and take a more time.
It's a sad time when you look at the rag and see your car's paint on it.
I expect others will have their favourite ways but this is what I have done.

sleepinvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
99" vt berlina
thanks nut cracker, im certainly not looking forward to it... thats the only reason i havent done it, dont want to hurt my baby.....thank you for the procedure, i believe it will be an all day job. theres a bitof it

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
If its thick U can try a razor blade to trim it down then use a caramel wheel or also called a pinstripe remover whch will take far less effort but take it slow as not to burn the paint.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I used a heat gun on my VS when I had to remove the glue from all 4 doors when I installed dynamat. Just heat it up until it is pretty much like liquid and it just wipes off with a rag or cloth.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I used a heat gun on my VS when I had to remove the glue from all 4 doors when I installed dynamat. Just heat it up until it is pretty much like liquid and it just wipes off with a rag or cloth.

Love it.
Of course. Heat and glue don't mix. Well, most glues. Simple, easy, effective and NO chemicals.

Alex05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Heat it up. Use fishing line to remove the large pieces then eculyptus oil to remove the last bit