Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Double row timing chain worth it?

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Yep, a double and no tensioner is the way to go. I've had my rollmaster off a couple of times and there seems to be no real wear and it is clearly superior in quality to the stocker. Win win

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Acarmody where did you buy it from? I have seen them for $300+.

I got mine from a place called "Performance Wholesale Australia" just south of Brisbane. Performance Wholesale Australia - Australia's largest stockist of race parts . Give them a buzz. They normally sell wholesale as thier name suggests, and I did buy 90% of my engine rebuild parts from them, but they should send you a chain.

Who quoted you $300+?

Also try these guys http://www.rocketindustries.com.au .

EDIT: These guys seems almost too cheap, http://www.autopowerparts.com.au/parts/romac_timing.pdf , $80 that's trade price though.
EDIT: https://www.americanautos.com.au/cg...formname=groups&newform=product&option=CS6150 $157.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Thanks for that. Definitely be going for one now. It was a retail cam shop that quoted me that for the timing chain. They seem pretty steep for everything actually so i might just get the cam from them and order the rest through one of these sites.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i had trouble fitting my double row timing chain the bloody thing was that tight. maybe there is some excessive tolerances in machining from block to block from the production line?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Mine had a bit of slack so we decided to leave the tensioner on.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
There is an option for a Double row chain with or without tensioner. The with option makes the chain a bees dick longer to allow some slack.

Go for one without a tensioner IMO. The tensioners are a known failure point as they shed debris over time which can block the oil pickup and starve the oil supply.

p_schrapel

soon to be big turbo
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
i also have a doulbe row timing chain (rollmaster) $120 trade from repco and it comes as a kit. u could possible be asking for a variable cam gear setup which i have noticed that repco can get in aswell that is around $300-$350 mark. i also been told by a number of engine builders say to be on the safe side get off my lazy ass and buy a new one tensioner from holden and shove it in. dont use your old one as due to them getting hot and cold all the time it gets very brital and breacks very easy so go buy a new tensioner from holden and doulbe row timing chain from repco or bursons and be done with it. u dont want to be pulling it apart 10,000km later as the chain has to much free play.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
The Rollmaster double row chain is 9 key way adjustable. Depending on which key way you mount the crank sprocket dictates the static timing advance. These chains are around $170 delivered from VPW or Rocket. You need to supply them the part number though because there wasn't a listing for the Ecotec last time I checked

vc81

Reaction score
Members Ride
vc commodore
The Rollmaster double row chain is 9 key way adjustable. Depending on which key way you mount the crank sprocket dictates the static timing advance. These chains are around $170 delivered from VPW or Rocket. You need to supply them the part number though because there wasn't a listing for the Ecotec last time I checked

Anyone know what the part numbers are?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Dont get a tensioner one when running double rows. Personally id just get a new single row with tensioner. I bought i jp performce billet timing set for $90 a few months back theyre adjustable aswell