Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Double standards at the cricket.

James VY

I like Nirvana too.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Well the title says most of it, but what do you guys think of the fact that foreigners are exempt to rules that we have to abide by whilst at the cricket?

For example, today at the cricket the Indian bay were starting chants such as; "You are a wanker", hitting beach balls and most importantly had a big arse drum there? I've seen somebody kicked out and almost arrested for having a harmonica!

I'm not by any means a racist, but I feel that Cricket Australia have ruined the atmosphere of a test match, and by allowing the Indian supportors to run amok (for lack of a better term) is just rubbing it in our faces.

Discuss?

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
if they did anything it would get into the whole racist thing again, you know that.

James VY

I like Nirvana too.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Yeah you're right, but if they're going to change the rules dependant on the colour of your skin... rules should be the same for everybody. bloody political correctness :hmmm:

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
It's more to do with the racism card that a lot of the sub-continent teams play. It's an easy out for them and something that runs in the community a lot. Like myself, I'm born and raised Australian, consider myself Australian and am dead-proud to be able to call myself Australian. But my parents and extended family are from Sri Lanka, and its something that runs in the community, and why I distance myself from anything to do with the culture or community.

The biggest problem is that precedents have been set, and if Cricket Australia dare do anything to upset the BCCI then not only will there be a massive political issue, but cricket is now unfortunately all political and financially-powered, and the BCCI run International Cricket. The financial losses that any incident can bring about is too great to risk in their eyes.

I mean, take for instance when that Indian bloke got stabbed on his way to work. They cried foul, the BCCI threatened to withdraw from Australian tours unless something was done, and blackmailed the Australian government into action (not saying the guy should have got off on it.) Now take for instance the situation a few years back where an Indian student stabbed and killed an Australian in Melbourne, and then the Indian powers in Australia flew him back to India to avoid being held accountable. The Australian government (to my knowledge) did nothing or made a piss-poor attempt at reconciling the issue.

India is a world powerhouse now and the PR side of things is more important to the fascist politicians than equality, and it runs so deep and in so many different streams. I mean look, we try to embrace it as much as possible, but the clear advantage and 'position of power' so to speak that some (not all) of the Indians and the like take really pisses me off.

My opinion is to just avoid it and try and enjoy the cricket for what it is. Like we went Boxing Day, sat up in the MCC and just ignored whatever they were doing. I know some of the people involved in the little Indian contingent and 70% of them aren't there for the cricket. I normally never bother going to the cricket when Sri Lanka or India are playing for the simple fact the lack of accountability annoys me and gets me angry. But ultimately when someone can threaten to withhold billions and billions from you, you're not going to side with the little man.

James VY

I like Nirvana too.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Great reply, answered a whole lot of future questions. I can completely see where you're coming from, why on earth would CA listen to someone like me who just wants to see equality at the cricket...

Yeah, imagine the outrage in India if one of their supporters was evicted for bad behaviour. At the end of the day, I just wish that CA would lighten up it's stance on the chanting and the beach balls. We have been turned into a fun sucked nanny state. I'm still a kid (I guess), and I can't even begin to imagine what it's going to be like for my children or grandchildren.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Everyone gets a bit racist in a competition. People all need to learn where to draw the line. Unfortunately too many people think they're **** don't stink.

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
I suppose if we dig deeper from a cricket point of view, I mean how many concessions has the Western powers (England, Australia, South Africa etc.) made to allow sub-continent teams to get a fair go?
How many rules have been changed to cater for them.....let's all not forget Muralitharan (sic), by the laws of the game, bowled illegally, yet they changed the rules to allow a greater bend and allow him to play.
The IPL window? The BCCI forced the ICC's hand on that.
The DRS. Enough said. Cost India the match which is sweet justice.

And many more. And what pisses me off is they are the first to cry foul and try and blame others when they #### up. Look at the Pakistani spot-fixing issue. Their president, before any evidence was provided, came out and said England started it and they are to blame. Then a couple Sri Lankan's came out and said the Australians have been match-fixing since the early 90's.
All unproven.

Like Hama said, its ok to be aggressive and what not in competition, I know I am when I play, but you need to know where the line is and accept the consequences of your actions, which a lot of the sub-continents people fail to realise.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think it's a damned shame that we have to tolerate the sub-continent teams in cricket at all. Piss India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka off and you would have a better game, but the money that India brings in means that will never happen. You'd also only have half the number of competitive teams left to play the game around the world.

How ironic that the home of cricket (England) no longer controls the game for the sportsmanship that it encompasses, and that India, the home of vivid contrasts in social demographics and racial disparity, now controls it simply on the basis that it has such an enormous population who are cricket fanatics and this results in huge incomes for the BCCI. Money speaks and never more so than in international sport, but I wonder what the future holds for international cricket if it is to be run by what India wants.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
its the cricket. we won didnt we? =P

i can understand how they didnt have the DRS.
fair enough if it means both teams have to agree. but i would rather it be an agreement not just 1 side says no so its a no.

back to the political side.
i dont see the harm in chants, beachballs, MEXICAN WAVES, instrument, and all that kind of behaviour.
however if one side can do it. why cant the other side?
thats where it is politically wrong.
if we can get chucked out for something. then they should to.
if they do not get chucked out for it. then we should be able to do those things.
i mean honestly. what i just named do they harm anyone? (other then throwing things during the wexican wave)

prime example:
look at the T20 and one day competitions.
how much fun the crowd actually has.
and they wonder why people dont go to tests anymore.....

RIP 05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ sedan
Same rules for everyone I reckon, fark em off