Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

downshifting use fuel?

DezzDash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
just wondering, in my manual sv6 if im going at 70 and downshift from 3rd to second to get the growl, does it use fuel as the rpm's go higher?

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss 355, vl, vr, vs ss
some people should not have a car. think about it mate. yes it would the more your motor works the more fuel u use's

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Actually higher revs doesn't necessarily mean more fuel. Since the engine is being used as a brake during the downshift little to no fuel is being pumped in. I know the VS actually shuts off the injectors.

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
No, the downshift doesn't use extra fuel, assuming you shift "normally" and let the clutch do the work (and don't continue to drive in that gear - obviously, maintaining that higher RPM will use more fuel). If you respect your car, you'll use the extra bit of fuel to match the revs and ease the load on your clutch.

DezzDash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
haha thanks guys, apparently the first post shouldnt have a car, not knowing what ur going on about champion

svsex

big blue
Reaction score
Members Ride
190 sv6
yeh i actualy saw a doco on being green in ur car and they did say using ur gears to slow down does improve fuel ecocnomy and sounds fully sik wen u have a exaust sytem fitted haha.

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
No fuel is being used in that situation, because the rear wheels are driving the engine when no throttle is being used. The best thing to do when rolling to a stop is to go to a lower gear and don't touch the pedals. let your momentum drive the engine

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
some people should not have a car. think about it mate. yes it would the more your motor works the more fuel u use's

Yep you should be one of them. As long as the throttle isn't blipped it won't use more fuel. Even if you did blip the throttle the fuel usage increase would be miniscule

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
How about we just answer the question with where the TPS is at?

The TPS is controlled by the accelerator pedal, so if you are not pushing it, then no more fuel than to maintain engine IDLE is being asked for! I could be wrong, so corrections welcome!