Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drag Racing 101

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
rules for drag racing? well, you need a car obviously, a helmet that meets adr standards, long pants, long sleeve shirt. apart from that, u can drive a shell down the strip, as long as it doesnt fall apart. if you want you can take ur lights out

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
yea, im pretty sure u can take something out there thats not road worthy, but it wouldnt hurt just to call up the place ur gonna take it and just see what the officials say

Manticore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Z UTE
Should traction control be on or off, been thinking of going to the drags for a while now.

DarrenF

I'm an illiterate idiot.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
You just need a helmet mate. Roll cages and all that are for sub 10 second cars I believe. I haven't been down the strip in anything with traction control. I usually put a litre of octane booster in the tank and keep the tank as empty as possible when I run down the strip - keeps the vehicle lighter and the litre of octane booster makes my VN go harder.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Traction off, why? because when it kicks in it kills the power considerably by shutting off the injectors or retarding the timing (like knock sensors).

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Great read it really pays to do most of that list personally CBF taking out the seat but most of it I use when down the plex.

I do have more to add.

Autos are generally accepted to be the go for drag racing that been said manuals have the advantage of both more rwhp from less parasitic loss and the ability to drop the clutch at higher RPM`s.

Autos when programmed correctly to shift at the peak RPM in PWR/power mode will always change better/faster/more effeciently than a casual drag racer with a manual.

LS1/6.0/LS3 etc....tips

1. take off the air con belt.
*great little free hp trick.

It takes 5 mins you need to take off the main serpentine belt first using a 15mm socket roll the auto tension er right and slip the belt on to the side of the socket.

Number one is the tensioner. take note when of this diagram.
v8.png
[/URL][/IMG]

With the main belt off you can now remove the lower belt using the 15mm again on the aircon belt auto tensioner turning it right as with the last tensioner and remove the air con belt, now refit the main belt using the previous diagram.

General Tip

Open the bonnet after every run.

See those people, no they don`t have the bonnet open JUST to show off their nice clean (or dirty) bay, they are cooling the intake, yes its hot and so is are a lot of other components like the main charge wiring from the alt, that will help power when cooler, note oil temp will remain hot enough during runs.

Turn off all no essential electrical power as all this helps reduce the load on the alternator/battery and also the coils/spark benefit as result, so blower fan, stereo, headlights (use parkers at night meets as they only draw 5w) and anything else that you may have aftermarket etc it all will help.

Will update with more l8r...