Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Draining vx fuel tank.

Trevor82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina V6
Howdy all,

I'm going to be draining the fuel tank on my vx due to it sitting in the shed for a couple years and I wanna clear out the old fuel.

Just wanting to know once the fuel tanks off should I be rinsing the fuel tank out with something to make sure all the old fuel has been cleaned out?

Cheers.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You could rinse it out with methyated spirits (1-2l should be enough), drain, and wait until any remaining methylated spirits evaporates if you really want to clean it out completely.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
How about you tip out the old fuel and pour in fresh fuel and shake the tank all about that should clean it out.
While the tank is out I'd be replacing the fuel filter and pump, the pump replacement is one of those jobs you only ever want to do the once and so much easier to do with the tank completely out.

Attachments

• VX Commodore - Fuel Tank Removed.JPG
    VX Commodore - Fuel Tank Removed.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 521

Trevor82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina V6
Howdy all,

So after work today I got in and pulled the fuel tank out and gave it a rinse out and replaced the fuel pump as well. The fuel pump I got was brought using the cars vin number. Now I got it all connected back up and then put about 9+ litres of 98 in it from the Jerry can. I went and turned the ignition on and the fuel gauge stopped at empty and beeped to say it was almost empty.

Is that correct or should it have gone up more then that?

The car started up and ran smooth as though which is a major bonus!

I got the number plates for it today and took it down and filled the tank up and the fuel gauge worked so I'm just a fool and didn't put enough in it yesterday.

Last edited: