Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drive without remote ?

ButchA

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf sv6 2015
Hi. curious if you get your remote wet & no longer works in any way, can i still open the car & drive it ?.. thx.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Did you actually kill your key or just for future reference? I put mine through the washing machine at the start of the year. I was leaving for work when I found it so I didn't have time to remove the battery and bag it in rice for a day. Can't comment on the keyless start side of things but the wash didn't seem to hurt it. All buttons still work and the immobiliser still accepts the key when I turn it to start.

ButchA

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf sv6 2015
Hi. not happened yet, but i do a bit of swimming & diving ^ i have a dry bag for the key. i only have 1 key.. but its just so that i no if i am screwed or not if it get wet. be nice if you could still use it like a HQ holden lol. cheers.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
I think there's a slot inside the center console that you can put the key into?Then you can press the start button.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
110% worth going and getting a 2nd key cut. Speaking from 1/2 research and 1/2 20:20 vision hind sight. If anything happens to your key you will need to buy two new keys from holden (trust me dont go the aftermarket ones), then you need to pay someone to cut and program them. Not cheap; and thats before you factor in the costs of getting into your car, getting it moved, then fixing anything that was broken in the getting in stage.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
There are two parts to the key - the remote/fob for opening and closing (which is the battery powered circuit board in the key) and the transponder (for starting). Even if you wash the key and kill the board, the transponder is sealed within the key and is completely passive, so you can open the doors manually and still start the car. The alarm will go off though if you open the door manually, it should turn off the alarm when you turn the key on/hit the start button and it passes the transponder check.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
yes as smashfist said there are 2 parts.
the fob in the key can be submerged under water totally and still work as it is a rfid chip and does not use or require power from the battery and as long as you have that and the keyblade to unlock the door/ignition you can still drive.
the electronics/battery is just for remote lock/unlock and pkes on passive entry vehicles.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
If the car is running but you dont have the key in it will it cutout while driving?

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
If the car is running but you dont have the key in it will it cutout while driving?
As I understand the car will keep going until you turn it of then willnot restart without key

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
As I understand the car will keep going until you turn it of then willnot restart without key

Yes correct , I made the mistake when I left my car at a car wash ( Jamie Whincups ) running and walked up the road to Macca's for a feed , about half a k , at some stage they turned it off , that's when I got a concerned phone call asking me to get the key back to them as it was holding up all the other cars in the que .