Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drivers window smashed + mechanism

beattun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Hi folks, first post, I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance.
Ive got a VT wagon (early model)

Couple weeks ago something snapped as I was winding the window up and the window came back down, I just assumed it had come off the runner (i know nothing) so pledge to get around to opening it up at some stage, in the meantime have just been sliding the window open and shut with my hands.
Until yesterday when the window smashed in my hands as i was sliding it up, so now I have to do something about it, Ive opened up the door trim and theres a part snapped off, looks to be part of the scissors mechanism.
So now ive got a black bag over the window, but obviously need to sort this out.

Got a quote from o briens , just for the window + fit , 325, they werent sure how much to fix the broken mechanism.
Should I go to a wreckers and try and find a door with window and mechanism intact? Any ideas on what i would pay for that?

Also is it hard to take the window out and put back in, whats the chances of a novice being able to do it? I figure Ive got to learn how to do this sort of stuff for myself eventually, so why not now.

Would really appreciate some tips / suggestions please if anyone has any.

Thanks in advance,

Brian.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It is not very hard to do yourself. I recommend you spend around $40 on a Gregory's workshop manual and it will guide you through it and it will come in handy for many more repairs. What area are you in because I have some spare regulators. Get a window from the wreckers.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Tip if you decide to go to the wreckers for new glass...

If your smashed one had factory tint then try to get the same tinted window, If darker then try to get darker. Saves you having to re-tint a window in the long run

beattun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
thanks for the tips guys, ill get a manual tomorrow, presume any decent sized bookstore should have em?

any ideas what i should be paying for a window? i take it the regulator is the scissors part im looking to replace?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
thanks for the tips guys, ill get a manual tomorrow, presume any decent sized bookstore should have em?

any ideas what i should be paying for a window? i take it the regulator is the scissors part im looking to replace?
Auto accessory places have the manuals as well. Supercheap etc.