Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driving license on phone.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Opinions regarding licenses now being available on mobile phones?

My view is its a contradiction. We get hounded daily about not using phones while driving so now the powers that be introduce this idea. Can anyone else see the contradiction, and the risks, involved in this idea or is it just me? What chance someone will handle their phone before being told to do so by police and scoring a fine? And just what is wrong with carrying a plastic license as we have done for years?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I heard about this in NSW it's been in SA for over a year apprantely. it's meant to be used as a addition to your wallet. but you will still need to keep you plastic licence. but it will be safer if you go out to town to have your licence and bank card on your phone.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Some people have probably already taken the initiative and taken a picture of their licence and keep it on their phone anyway ...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd find it a PITA. They have introduced this with race licenses. I had to pay an extra 10 bucks just so I could have a plastic one.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Doh …. didn't think of this before.
Went off this morning without my wallet/drivers license, and after I discovered that, I was worried about being RBT'd, or being involved in a bingle, as I have been fined in past for not carrying my license, even though the cops had verified it on their car computer.
I wonder if the cops would accept a phone photo of license in that situation. ?

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I'd find it a PITA. They have introduced this with race licenses. I had to pay an extra 10 bucks just so I could have a plastic one.

It would have been cheaper to print it out and laminate it.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Doh …. didn't think of this before.
Went off this morning without my wallet/drivers license, and after I discovered that, I was worried about being RBT'd, or being involved in a bingle, as I have been fined in past for not carrying my license, even though the cops had verified it on their car computer.
I wonder if the cops would accept a phone photo of license in that situation. ?

One could appeal to their good nature that in good faith is carrying their licence in a digital form (and offer to produce the physical version to their local police station asap for confirmation if required).

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It would have been cheaper to print it out and laminate it.
Yep but the stupid thing is I never even thought of doing that..... Could have done it at work for nothing and used our fancy printer.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
I seem to always have my phone when driving so I have downloaded it on the app, think it’s a good backup if I don’t have my wallet on me

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
What is the fine for not being able to produce your license when stopped by police in Australia , in New Zealand it’s $200 , and $400 for driving unlicensed but can be up to $1000 in court costs if it goes that far

Last edited: