Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driving lights affecting radio signal

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Anything I can do to stop my HID's reducing the signal strength of my radio? Fine until the signal becomes weak once your pretty well out bush. Turn the HID's off and radio is good, nearly all the way home. This was never an issue on the old car the lights came off and it's the same Pioneer head unit from my old car.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Cheap/crappy HID’s just do that. Expensive ones don’t. I had them in my high beams years ago - not low beams cause I didn’t want to be ‘that guy’ who blinds everybody. Got sick of the crap radio signal and the fact that sometimes one hid wouldn’t ignite.

You can try insulating them but not worth it imo.

I put 2 6” LED lightbars behind the grille and its much better. Nice spread of light and no interference.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks Trev I will see if Jaycar sells the insulators and what they are worth. They never used to interfere on the Jeep but they are 8 -10 years old now and sat in my shed for three years after they came off the Jeep. They only affect a weak signal so no biggie.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
AM or FM?
The ferrite coils can be hit or miss and may require some fiddling to get them in the right spot.
Is the aerial connection and lead in good condition?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
FM. Newish antenna but it is a bit loose now. Seems like the rough roads have loosened the base.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag