Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driving lights, Sv6.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
No there not, there technically a "driving light" fog light has different bulb, not a normal type globe, usually yellow in color. Had same argument with a copper as I always have the lamps and parkers on during the day. Apparently it's illegal to drive with fog lights on during the day. I said there not fog lights and showed him the manual as they describe them as driving lights aswell, and stated there exactly the same bulb as your headlight, therefore it's not a fog lamp. Still fined me $60 because of my green parkers.

That is interesting because there is absolutely nothing in my owners' manual to suggest that these fog lights are anything but "fog lights" and are to be used only for that purpose - ie. in fog.

There is nothing to suggest they are fitted for any purpose than for use in foggy conditions.

In fact the manual warns to..... "Check State laws regarding use of fog lamps when driving".
Since use of fog lamps is illegal in various states when there is no fog, it is obvious why this warning has been included. In some cases they can also be used in low visibility conditions like heavy rain.

Fog lamps may also project a white light. They are not required to be yellow.

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
oh oh oh I got a solution... keep both manuals in the car and then you can both be picky bastards trying to be the most correct.

Fog light... driving light. How about we call them "The bright round lights in the bumper bar." see, now you're both wrong ####ers! lol

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Go away. You are a blithering idiot.

Shm1ck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Thunder Ute
You both seem like good blokes, if you want I could hook you both up seeing your both sort of local.
I can buy them and send them to you as the kits I can get quite easily, just let me know

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Who makes the kit mate? Wouldn't mind checking the kit out myself too.

Shm1ck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Thunder Ute
I'd have to get back to you on that, keep you posted

Emmcee1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010sv6 wagon
That is interesting because there is absolutely nothing in my owners' manual to suggest that these fog lights are anything but "fog lights" and are to be used only for that purpose - ie. in fog.

There is nothing to suggest they are fitted for any purpose than for use in foggy conditions.

In fact the manual warns to..... "Check State laws regarding use of fog lamps when driving".
Since use of fog lamps is illegal in various states when there is no fog, it is obvious why this warning has been included. In some cases they can also be used in low visibility conditions like heavy rain.

Fog lamps may also project a white light. They are not required to be yellow.

I know they can be white I was using it as an example, but that is weird I just looked at mine again and it says in the section "bulbs to be replaced by dealer"

"Driving lamps"
Instrument panel lamps
Rear high level stop lamp
Vanity mirror lamps
Footwell lamps
Front interior dome/reading lamps.

stubec16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe Sportswagon LPG
No there not, there technically a "driving light" fog light has different bulb, not a normal type globe, usually yellow in color. Had same argument with a copper as I always have the lamps and parkers on during the day. Apparently it's illegal to drive with fog lights on during the day. I said there not fog lights and showed him the manual as they describe them as driving lights aswell, and stated there exactly the same bulb as your headlight, therefore it's not a fog lamp. Still fined me $60 because of my green parkers.

No they're not, they are specifically a fog light. That is if you're talking about the low wide lights in the front bumpers of SV6 and SS.

A driving light is an 'additional' high beam light. They must only be able to come on with high beams. Holden sell a genuine driving light kit which would explain the reference in your manual. They can be installed anywhere (some conditions) as long as the centres are 600mm apart. They are used for extra or better distance lighting and can only be white.

A fog light is for use in weather conditions causing reduced visibility. They can be activated in addition to any other light. For your SV6 they will only activate if at least the parkers are on. Fog lights shine a wide low beam and can not be more than 400mm from the outer edge of the vehicle and can be white or yellow. They are designed to pick up the edge (Fog) lines when visibility is poor. They are no good over long distance or for seeing wildlife unless you're going very slow (because if you are going more than about 40km/h anything you see approaching in the fog light beam will be in your path before you can react / stop.)

It is an offence to use fog lights in normal weather or light conditions. Anyone who has them on for 'additional vision' who drives over 40km/h is kidding themselves and clearly has them on for some other self centered purpose.

Hope this helps.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Oh for ####s sake. You nits still dithering over this? Get over it.

Yours truly.

Blithering Idiot.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
I don't think they are Fog or Driving lights, just bullshit lights to make the bumper look pretty. May as well put Pink bulbs in them and get done for that as well.