Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driving Lights Wiring - VR

Lukester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
Hi, I'm only very new here and have read all of the previous suggestions regarding wiring of spotlights / driving lights to a VR but still can't get mine to switch on and off when they should. I have even had to jump-start my car thanks to spending like a million hours trying to get them to work. I bought an el-cheapo wiring kit from Superworks autos and have it installed but cant figure out which line/s to tap into to make them come on and off with the high beam. Any further info would be great - Cheers.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Click the link below. This is how i wired up my SS lights exactly like this. If you want it so they only come on when the highbeams come on you will need to get the wire i've labeled in the diagram "Power On Parkers" to a wire in the engine bay somewhere that only gets power when the highbeams are on. Try using the wires to the highbeam or find the relay for it. If this one is followed then you'll be able to turn them on whenever you want as long as you have parkers on. So this means they will come on with Parkers, Low Beams or Highbeams. Hope this helps.
VR-VS Fog Lamp Wiring Diagram

Jurasic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE SERIES II
Hey there, if your headlights are on an earth switching setup this is the HELLA diagram for wiring them up. First with the h/lights turned off see if there is any power at the high and low beam wires on one headlight. Use a multimeter or a test light. If there is power there then they are earth switched.
To wire the lights...
1..from the positive on the car battery run a wire (30 amp) through a 25 amp inline fuse to the No 30 pin on the relay.
2.. Run wires from Pin No 87 to Spotties (both spotties)
3.. Ground spotties to car chassis (earth)
4.. Run a heavy wire from Pin 85 on the relay to the Earth wire on the h/light, NOTE ***this wire must be to the headlight earth and not the car chassis ****
5.. The last wire goes from Pin No 86 on the relay through a switch inside the car back to the live high beam wire on the headlights. This is called the switching wire.
This info has come from HELLAS wiring diagrams to suit a pair of 100 watt spotties.
Now if the light system is positive switched the only difference will be with the earth wire on Pin No 85..which will go to the vehicle ground instead of the headlight earth. All other wires are wired the same way.. hope this has helped..
You must run through a switch inside the car as you must be able to isolate the spotties from your high beam RTA rulings
Cheers for now

Last edited:

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Just a word on the fuses. 25A sounds a bit much to me. Power is voltage x current. So say the car is running at 13.8V. If you are using a 25A fuse, you are allowing for 345watts of power (13.8 x 25). If you are only running 2 x 100watt lights, you are probably safer using a 20A fuse. Lights do make a bit of a spike when you turn them on, so if it does blow a fuse when you turn them on, upgrade the fuse then, to a 25A. Much safer to start low and work up. Using a 20A fuse will let you have 240 watts @ 12V and 276 watts @ 13.8, so you still have a bit of leeway when you turn them on. If you are running 2 x 120watt lights, you are probably better using the 25A.

Lukester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
Cheers!

Thanks for your help guys. Jurasic's Hella instructions did the trick - it was nothing like the diagram on the back of my wiring kit. The switching earth is a bit of a wierd thing?! I've taken on board the comments about fuse ratings and agree the lowest possible is the safest. Thanks again - I hope I can return the favour sometime.

Jurasic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE SERIES II
Glad To Help

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Actually, just to step in here. The lowest possible fuse rating is not ALWAYS the best bet.

If you are close to it's limits..eg.. 25 amp fuse and you are pullin 23 amps through the fuse then it starts acting like a resistor and can actually reduce performance.

The main idea behind a fuse fir lights is purely short circuit protection. A big ole 100A fuse will blew just milliseconds behind a 25A fuse in the event of a short circuit. Since there is no risk of overloading the circuit here, using the 25A fuse would not have had any issues what so ever.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
don't forget that resistance increases with heat, so as things warm up under the bonnet the current draw will increase slightly also

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Actually, just to step in here. The lowest possible fuse rating is not ALWAYS the best bet.

If you are close to it's limits..eg.. 25 amp fuse and you are pulling 23 amps through the fuse then it starts acting like a resistor and can actually reduce performance.

The main idea behind a fuse fir lights is purely short circuit protection. A big ole 100A fuse will blew just milliseconds behind a 25A fuse in the event of a short circuit. Since there is no risk of overloading the circuit here, using the 25A fuse would not have had any issues what so ever.

The LOWEST possible fuse is always best. A fuse will not act like a resistor unless you have really stuffed something up. The connections may bring a little resistance, which is why there are stories about melting sockets etc, but the fuse itself is completely different. It is a short piece of wire, very little resistance, very little voltage drop, it will never affect performance (in this case anyway) unless it blows. If you have a 50A fuse in, and you are only ever needing 5A from the circuit, you have a 45A leeway. That is 621watts of power. Enough to easily start a fire. You can be sitting there driving along, car catches on fire, burns everything to the ground and still not draw enough current to blow the fuse. At that sort of current, the wiring can become a fuse, and just start melting. That is why there are always (should be anyway) warnings that say, only replace fuses with same type and rating to prevent fire, something along those lines.

I dont know who told you that mate, but forget it and forget it quickly. A fuse is there simply for safety. Thinking that you are being clever by putting a larger fuse in is asking for trouble.

When choosing a fuse, work out what the normal current will be, and add 25%. This is the fuse that you should use that will balance between safety - not allowing too much current - and reliability - not having the fuse blow every time the circuit is switched on.

If you are running 2x 100watt spotlights, you are using 200watts. At 13.8volts, the typical operating voltage, you are using 14.5amps. If you car was turned off, and the voltage was only 12v, you would be drawing 16.6 amps. Add 25% onto that, and you get about 20A. So start with the 20A and you should be fine. If it keeps blowing, then, and only if you are confident that there aren't any mistakes anywhere, go up to the next value, 25A.

You are absolutely right about the 100A fuse blowing in the same time as a 25A fuse in a short circuit, no problem there EXCEPT not all electrical faults are short circuits. If you have a low resistance to earth through a coil or something, say wasnt a nice short, it was 0.26ohms. Now at 13.8V, thats going to pass about 50A. Thats still not enough to cause your monster fuse to blow. Thats 600watts of heating power, possibly a few hundred degrees celcius, enough to cook everything around it, maybe fuel lines, material, anything flammable, and your fuse wont even worry about it. The 25A would have blown and saved you. The overrated fuse has done nothing. Thats what all the warnings are about.

Last edited:

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
don't forget that resistance increases with heat, so as things warm up under the bonnet the current draw will increase slightly also

Thats true, but should not be a consideration for any car wiring.