Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driving Lights

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
My exec VX has a clubby kit on it with the driving/fog lights but they haven't been wired using the existing wiring. I want to change it to the standard wiring so that they can't be left on and so the indicator light shows on the dash.
As far as I know i need to get a relay and the proper switch is there any other parts I need?
With the standard wiring do the lights work when the parkers only are on or do the headlights need to be on too (Hi or Lo beam)?

F

fatboyvncalaisv8

im pretty sure you can have them on anytime.
never done that job, so cant help you with regards to parts, but the relay, switch etc sounds right, if all the loom plugs are there.

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
Chrisd79 - FIRST, you need to ascertain what type of lamps they actually are. I am presuming not standard supply.

Take close look at the lamps lens. You are looking for an E mark (hopefully), this will be an 'E' or 'e' with a number beside it, for example E13.

What matters here is a nearby code, for example above the E in a circle might be '02B' or 'HR'.

'02B' is compliance code for front fog light, the B is relevant here. 'HR' is compliance code for driving lamp, the 'R' is relevant here.

If the lamp is HR variety it can or should only be wired with its own switch; and only able to operate when the cars standard high-beam is also switched on.

If the lamp is 02B variety, its positive feed should be taken from the parklights (sidelights). This will enable operation on park (the best for seriously bad visibility), low and high-beam, the latter because we don't want front fog lights to flash on-off when the high-beam is momentarily used.

IF the lamp is original SS source, they will not bear an E mark (European and world compliance) but are 'accepted' by DOTARS Compliance as fog lights (not good ones) and accordingly must be wired as fog lights.

They will NOT perform well as driving lights, though glary, their effective depth is limited to 50 metres max.

USE: Front fog light use is limited to hazardous weather conditions in NSW, WA, NSW will fine and you could lose a demerit point. Other jurisdictions are studying similar prohibition and I expect the Australian Road Rules to eventually catch up.

Driving lights are used in accordance to normal high-beam allowances.

R

RKZ234

Chrisd79 said:
My exec VX has a clubby kit on it with the driving/fog lights but they haven't been wired using the existing wiring. I want to change it to the standard wiring so that they can't be left on and so the indicator light shows on the dash.
As far as I know i need to get a relay and the proper switch is there any other parts I need?
With the standard wiring do the lights work when the parkers only are on or do the headlights need to be on too (Hi or Lo beam)?

Simple answer - no other parts required. This is conditional on if they are genuine SS Fog Lights. If they are, then all you need is to do is locate the light plugs near the bottom corner of the radiator and get a Genuine F/L switch, which will fit the plug waiting for you behind the fascia just below the headlight switch and connect everything up and insert the relay.

(You can drill and shape a hole to allow the genuine switch to click in, or you can source a new/used SS/S fascia with the hole in it from factory. Either way, using the factory switch looks very neat)

FOG LIGHTS ARE NOT THE SAME AS DRIVING LIGHTS (AS DISCUSSED IN OTHER THREADS)

If the lights are Driving Lights, then you can do as mentioned above, but must have the genuine switch you added wired up via high beam. Best to get an Auto Elec to check it all over.

The factory fog light wiring allows lights to work when parkers, low beam and hi beam are headlights are in operation.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details as I've fitted D/Lights to 2 VX's and so has my cousin.

Last edited by a moderator:

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
RKZ234 said:
Simple answer - no other parts required. This is conditional on if they are genuine SS Fog Lights. If they are, then all you need is to do is locate the light plugs near the bottom corner of the radiator and get a Genuine F/L switch, which will fit the plug waiting for you behind the fascia just below the headlight switch and connect everything up and insert the relay.

(You can drill and shape a hole to allow the genuine switch to click in, or you can source a new/used SS/S fascia with the hole in it from factory. Either way, using the factory switch looks very neat)

FOG LIGHTS ARE NOT THE SAME AS DRIVING LIGHTS (AS DISCUSSED IN OTHER THREADS)

If the lights are Driving Lights, then you can do as mentioned above, but must have the genuine switch you added wired up via high beam. Best to get an Auto Elec to check it all over.

The factory fog light wiring allows lights to work when parkers, low beam and hi beam are headlights are in operation.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details as I've fitted D/Lights to 2 VX's and so has my cousin.
I don't know if they are genuine ss fog lights. What problem will this create if they aren't and is there someway you can tell if they are.
I also don't even know if they are fog or driving lights. All i know is that they are wired directly to the battery (via a switch of course). How do i tell if they are fog or driving?

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
"I also don't even know if they are fog or driving lights".

See sentence two, three, and four of my post above, sheesh.

IF the lamp is genuine SS for the car - then check on its body for GM markings 920 etc.

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
There are no markings at all on the lens. Is this "920" mark you speak of on the back of the light or something. It's kinda hard to check cause I can't fit under the car eaisly - well not tonight anyway.

R

RKZ234

Fog lights are 55w or less.

Until very recently the genuine SS items had SS moulded into the glass on the front of the lens.

Driving lights are greater than 55w, so to find out which ones yours are, remove the globe and check.

If the globe is greater than 55w your lights are considered to be Driving lights and must be wired via high beam.

If they are 55w or less you can simply use the factory loom and plug everything in.

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
If they are greater than 55W is there any other reason (other than legal reasons) i can't use the factory loom?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Yes, the next general bulb size up is 100watts. This almost double the current draw and your existing wiring loom wasn't designed to handle this power. It MAY vary well handle it just fine. But, as I haven't seen the original loom in so long. I cannot answer definetly.