Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driving melbourne to cairns

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
as you wont always have GPS and Mobile reception to know where you are going

I don't know about you but I've never had a problem getting GPS reception out in the middle of no-where :)

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
true Troy, however ill add.
only Licence that you dont go by your own states condition is Learners, NSW law states every Learner has to do 80kph

one thing id be doing is going out and grabbing a touring map or 2 for the areas you're going to go through.
as you wont always have GPS and Mobile reception to know where you are going (its straight, but its always worthwhile having)
and plan out your route well, even if it means, using said maps to highlight the route.

just something i personally always find handy to have on any journey somewhere i havent been before.

Lol you'll always have GPS reception unless its flat

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
hey. There is always a possibility you might not for some reason.
better to be safe then sorry :p

said chance may be minimal though.
but, and this is my opinion. Its easier to use a map then constantly trying to use a 3-5 inch screen. Maybe not when actually driving, but when trying to plan stuff out

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Lol you'll always have GPS reception unless its flat

Or World War III starts and the yanks scramble the GPS signal..

But I agree maps are for planning.. GPS is good in car..

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
hey. There is always a possibility you might not for some reason.
better to be safe then sorry :p

said chance may be minimal though.
but, and this is my opinion. Its easier to use a map then constantly trying to use a 3-5 inch screen. Maybe not when actually driving, but when trying to plan stuff out

I don't know about the OP but I'm a member of RACQ and you get a couple of free touring maps a year. If its free, why not?

Andy1171

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ executive
im insured with racv have full roadside assistance etc im guessing that would cover me around through nsw and queensland through racq etc

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
true Troy, however ill add.
only Licence that you dont go by your own states condition is Learners, NSW law states every Learner has to do 80kph
Not saying you're wrong (cos I have no idea) but that's a total contradiction given that ACT says you follow the conditions of your license. I wonder how it would work if you were pulled over. Plus the 80Km/h rule shits me to tears... too many times I've been on single lane highways stuck behind 30 cars because of a learner. I'm all for people having to start some where but busy roads over Christmas holidays is no place for a learner to be doing 20 under the speed limit and holdi g everyone up.

gavpav

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SSV Redline W375
If you come up on the coastal route be careful for Roos around Ingham at sunrise or sunset. Be careful of them everywhere but Ingham is a hotspot. They are not just the smaller grey ones either. The stretch between Rockhampton to Mackay is also very popular for our hoppy friends.
Hope you enjoy your new start in Cairns, it's an awesome spot to live.
Welcome !

Andy1171

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ executive
Thanks gavpav going the inland route as its much quicker. Flying up there in 3 weeks to organise a few things then back to melbourne for a week and then the long drive :D cant wait to live in cairns!

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Not saying you're wrong (cos I have no idea) but that's a total contradiction given that ACT says you follow the conditions of your license. I wonder how it would work if you were pulled over. Plus the 80Km/h rule shits me to tears... too many times I've been on single lane highways stuck behind 30 cars because of a learner. I'm all for people having to start some where but busy roads over Christmas holidays is no place for a learner to be doing 20 under the speed limit and holdi g everyone up.

they actually state in the Laws for NSW that all learners state irrespective have to follow the learner laws.
may be contradictive, but because its a law and not a condition its just the way it is.
and dont worry. im absolutely against the law. In my opinion, its very dangerous. on the Hume we passed a fair few. they are doing 3/4 of the speed as everyone else, just an accident waiting to happen.

heres the link btw: Interstate learner drivers using NSW roads < Visitors to NSW < Licensing < www.rta.nsw.gov.au

anyway good luck with your trip Andy.
and make sure you have some good music or know some radio stations to listen to. otherwise it will feel very long.
and if you can, pack some snacks, we normally always have them for long trips and quite happy we have had them.