Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driving melbourne to cairns

Andy1171

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ executive
Thought i would update the thread as im leaving tonight. Ended up going over the whole car see what was no good ended up replacing front wheel bearings, front oxy sensor, oil, coolant, transmission flush. Ended up finding a mate keen to come on the journey so having 2 drivers now will make it easier. Cars all packed just need to grab some snacks, heading out tonight hopefully all goes well will report back when i finish the 36 hour drive :D

Andy1171

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ executive
anyway good luck with your trip Andy.
and make sure you have some good music or know some radio stations to listen to. otherwise it will feel very long.
and if you can, pack some snacks, we normally always have them for long trips and quite happy we have had them.

Thanks mate im a fan of triple j so im set for the trip haha.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
My suggestion is:
make sure that you keep your mobile 'phone charged up. I bought an inverter at Dick Smith - the smallest - and it works fine.
If you have a laptop, you can take a break under The Golden Arches, and hook into their free Wi-Fi to keep loved-ones informed of where you are, and your latest intentions.
And, in Q, the RACQ won't come out if your car breaks down after crossing water - they're very strict about that one.
But, you'd be unlikely to see much rain up North in June.

Andy1171

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ executive
forgot to update this but ended up taking 3 days with 2 drivers we did Melbourne to Dubbo, Dubbo to Emerald and Emerald to Cairns was a good long trip happy my car made it there in once peice as the roads through northern vic and all of nsw were not the greatest for a lowered commodore with low profile tyres but was easy driving once we got over the border the roads in qld were awesome.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
forgot to update this but ended up taking 3 days with 2 drivers we did Melbourne to Dubbo, Dubbo to Emerald and Emerald to Cairns was a good long trip happy my car made it there in once peice as the roads through northern vic and all of nsw were not the greatest for a lowered commodore with low profile tyres but was easy driving once we got over the border the roads in qld were awesome.

Lolwut?????

Jonesy484

OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
put fuel in it and drive it