Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driving Perth to Darwin?

Benjamin K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais V6 Supercharged
Title's pretty self explanatory, what is the best way to go? The drive will be done in a brand new E2 R8 so I need the safest way possible, IE decent traffic with as little chance of hitting a roo.

Cheers

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Not a lot of options are there? Unless you want to drive to SA and go up the middle. At least you won't have to put up with the roads we had to 25 years ago. Perth -> Port Hedland -> Broome -> -Fitzroy Crossing -> Halls Creek -> Kununarra -> Darwin. Fitzroy Crossing to Halls Creek used to be a shocker!

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Is there a reason to do it or are you going on a holiday just out curiousity. Roos can be pretty bad up in the NT.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Perth -> Port Hedland -> Broome -> -Fitzroy Crossing -> Halls Creek -> Kununarra -> Darwin. Fitzroy Crossing to Halls Creek used to be a shocker!

Or go via Meekatharra & Newman. Going via Kalgoorlie & Ayers Rock will take the longest 2 days 4 hrs according to google.
The section between Leonora & Ayers Rock takes 18 hrs alone & is unsealed.

W84N01

Reaction score
Website
www.southwestcommodoreconnection.com
Members Ride
VN manual, VC 5L Auto, 80series GXL 4WD :)
Doesn't matter which way you take, you will encounter roos, foxes, rabbits, cows and sheep and other animal wildlife the whole way up there.

During the day it's not so bad, but in the arvos or early mornings is when it's the worst time for them to be out.

melissasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I've done Perth to Kununurra countless of times. Drive during the day and your better off for roo's, horses, cattle and birds.

Best way for better roads would be the coastal road, up to Broome then onto Fitzroy, Hells Crack, Kununurra, Timber Crack, Vic River, Katherine and then Darwin...

Perth to Kununurra I did easy in 3 days, Darwin being an extra 1000km on top of that, but it is 130km all the way in the Territory lol.

I have done perth to knx in 2 days mind you..