Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DSLR Camera

Agnu

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Members Ride
VYII S Ute
Why I suggested a prime lens is because it will teach you composition, as apposed to convinience. Too many people go and buy an 18-55mm and teach themselves bad compositional habits. Having a fixed lens will teach you to get creative with your composition, so that when you do get a zoom lens 1) it won't be sub-par in quality because you'll have saved up enough dough for a good one by then, and 2) you'll have the basic compositional know-how that you'll use varying focal lengths for what they're meant for, as apposed to for convinience sake. A 70mm focal length, for example, isn't only so that you can crop tighter, there are a lot of other factors in why you'd chose that focal length over another.

For example, most fashion photographers shoot fashion with a 300mm or so lens for perspectives sake.

Sorry it's getting late i'm sortah tired and rambling haha, if anyone's interested just post here and i'll write a bit more up about it next time i'm around :).

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
For example, most fashion photographers shoot fashion with a 300mm or so lens for perspectives sake.

Really? I know 2 fashion photographers who shoot hasselblaad, neither use 300mm lenses lol. If your using a 300mm lens your not a fashion photographer, your a guy at the end of a catwalk who needs the reach.

Using a prime doesnt teach you composition, it teaches you to use your feet and not be lazy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Agnu

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Members Ride
VYII S Ute
Not fashion as in catwalk stuff, i'm talking about location work. You're mates who are fashion photographers should, if they know what they're doing, shoot at about 200mm atleast on a 6x6 system. The reason being that anything shorter makes the nose look out of place and the ears semi-disappear. A standard lens (on a Hassy being 80mm) is far too short for a flattering, standard beauty lens. This is the general rule, although they do say once you know the rule you can break it. I tend to shoot a lot of location work between 17mm and 70mm. I only shoot longer if it's a very typical shot, but my style of location work calls for those focal lengths. Although all my studio stuff is shot between 70mm and 200mm. There is a reason why the 70-200mm f/2.8L is the most commonly used fashion lens in 35mm format.

But also then again, if you're really good at what you'll do you won't cop out and you'll shoot large format, but no matter the system, perspective will never change. An interesting fact about perspective and our brains is that supposedly, our eyes only properly register a face once, from a certain perspective, and then everytime we see that face our eyes merely reconstruct the face from the pre-existing map registered in our brain. That's why we often think that we, or our friends, look different in photos, because what we are seeing isn't always what we should actually be seeing. This is why most people have a lot of trouble learning the rules of perspective over focal length, because it's an unnatural concept. But i'm pretty sure that's only a theory, but still, it explains a lot :).

rch-13z

Former Photoshop Whore
Reaction score
Website
www.karcreations.com.au
Members Ride
VT Exec
crap, shows how much i know. i know about the rechargeable AA's, its just i dont like them, i prefer just standard rechargeable battery's.

New FUJIFILM FinePix S2000hd Digital Camera Black - eBay 10.0 - 11.9 Megapixels, Compact, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 05-Jan-10 17:26:12 AEDST) was the one. that is a point and shoot.

which would you recommend? point and shoot or a full DSLR, note that i am no professional, just a beginner.

To the op, I have the older version which is the 8000D or something like that which I bought for $400.... Quality is good, check my thread for photo quality

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
thanks guys... still deciding, have been receiving lots of PM's so ill be responding soon, just a bit tied up at the moment. rch. will look soon

EDIT: Rep sent to all..