Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DTC 16 & 17

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
Hi all, i have a DTC list of 16 ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE (ECT) (SIGNAL VOLTAGE UNSTABLE) & 17 PCM ERROR - ECT COOLANT CIRCUIT. Can anyone advise if they have experienced these DTC's & what the problem was. Would either be faulty temp sensor or faulty PCM/ECU. Any info would be appreciated.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
I haven’t, but it’s more likely to be the sensor than the PCM. Cheaper to rule out too. The general rule with codes is to fix the first one that came up, then clear and recheck. Often the following codes are symptoms of preceding code faults.

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
I haven’t, but it’s more likely to be the sensor than the PCM. Cheaper to rule out too. The general rule with codes is to fix the first one that came up, then clear and recheck. Often the following codes are symptoms of preceding code faults.
Thanks for your reply & input. I was already thinking of replacing the sensor as like you have said this is the cheaper option & more likely to be the problem. It has never been replaced & has probably seen better days. What you say about preceding & following codes makes sense also. Thanks again.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
If you are replacing the coolant temperature sensor you may find the attachment from the Holden VT/VX Service manual of benefit:

Attachments

• VX V6 ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE (ECT) SENSOR.pdf
    276.2 KB · Views: 142

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
If you are replacing the coolant temperature sensor you may find the attachment from the Holden VT/VX Service manual of benefit:
Cheers mate, appreciate the info. I was going to change the sensor without draining the coolant. I was going to change on a cold engine, remove sensor & put my thumb over the hole to stop coolant leaking & the quickly install new sensor & then purge any air via the thermostat housing. I take it that the reason you need to drain the coolant as to allow you to apply the 242 threadlocker to the sensor thread otherwise the coolant will just wash it away when you install it on a full coolant system. Thanks again.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
You can drop the coolant level by siphoning out via the radiator cap into an empty container (on mine the hose can reach the bottom of the radiator the way the core is designed). A small diameter hose does the trick.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Dazza, that's the method I use to replace coolant sensors. No need to drain the coolant completely.

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
Dazza, that's the method I use to replace coolant sensors. No need to drain the coolant completely.
Yeah, i liked Grimes idea of not draining coolant completely as that seemed such a waste & made the job that much harder. Made sense to drain just below thermostat level, install new sensor , re-fill & purge. (Thanks Grimes!) Thanks to you also BlackVXGTS as i appreciate your input also. Both your advice is going to make this job so much easier. Thanks again guys. Dazza is going to have to tell Shazza about this !!!! Just hope Bobo from the pizza shop isn't pissed off if can't do pizza deliveries tonight until i get the Commy sorted. LOL

Reactions: Lex

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers. There’s a fair percentage of members here with a shed full if shortcuts and ‘special tools’. The longer you own a commodore, the slicker you get with the turn arounds!