Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

dual audio controls

squire_j

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Turismo Blue 2005 VZ Storm Panelvan
Hi all,

As you can see i've got the HBD Sandman canopy on the back of my ute. Well i've got a problem where when i'm camping out in the back; i want to be able to control the audio system... :confused: I was able to find somewhere that i can buy another set of steering wheel controls:
http://www.nvu.com.au/products_single.php?action=showproduct&cat=2&id=100&page=3&section=1
but i was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to wire them up so that I either have a switch to switch between the 2 sets of steering wheel controls, or even better; if they are able to both work simultaneously. :w00t:

The next step will be trying to work out how i can turn the stereo on and off from back there.

thanks.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Ok, it would be relatively simple to do this...

The steering controls work on ONE wire. when you press the buttons they change the resistance of that wire which alters the voltage on it. Considering adding cable to it puts extra resistance in the line...having the buttons all the way down the back might add too much resistance and it might continually change volume or scan...or whatever...Same as having them both running at the SAME time. But, too be honest, I DON'T KNOW.

But, heres how I would do it.

Located behind the head unit is a brown wire that goes to the steering controls (locate by using a multimeter and seeing which wire changes voltage when you press the buttons.)

Tap into that wire and run into the rear compartment, solder this wire onto the new wheel controls.

*NOTE* All joins MUST be soldered to keep the resistance as low as possible.

If you wanted to add a switch you will need to use an SPDT switch (SIngle Pole, Double throw)

Like this one..
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=448

With this switch...the brown wire comes out of the head unit and into the CENTRE leg then the original steering wheel wire goes onto one of the outside legs and the other wire (to the new buttons) goes on the other oustide leg.

Ideally, this would be the best way to do it so you don't have both lengths of cabling adding up on the resistance. But, try the other way first as thats the way you wan it. If it works great, if it doesn't....add in a switch :)

and remember solder all connections!

Let me know how you go with this please, I'm pretty keen to see what comes about of it. I never thought of doing it...sio what I typed is straight off the top of my head!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Ok, I just checked the details on that switch. When you initially switch it, there is a brief 20M ohm load put on the contacts, this may make the cd player do "something" like change volume or skip tracks..but it should only do it when you flick it and never any other time.