Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Duel Batterys

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Vy Senator Signature 5.7lt auto
Hey guys I was wondering if it would be worth my while running a battery under the bonnet and a battery in my boot. I keep killing batterys becuse of my stereo(at least that is what the auto elec said) so i was thinking of running the two batterys with the right relay would this help me out with my problem or just be a waste of money.

I already have the relay and all wires needed and i would be able to get a seconds battery cheap. I am also running a capasitor what i have to get rid of that or could it still be used? What do yo think?

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
if you running the cap it defeats the purpose of using the second batt.. It may be becasue your alternator isnt able to thandle the draw on the battery becasue of your stero size. If you upgrade your cap and dont have your stero on while engine is off, you shouldn't have a problem. Oh and upgrade you alternator if it is stock...what sort of system are you running?

troyjm310

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Sportwagon SV6 Z Series
yes i agree upgrading your alternator and a bigger capacity battery will do the job :) had the same problem in my vl but yeh

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Nah I was told if i upgrade my Battery to a proformance audio battery it will help. The alternator is fine but another reason i was interested in a second battery is so i can run the stereo while it is off. If you would like to know what stereo I have click on the link in my signiture.

Mike S

Car Audio Pro
Reaction score
A capacitor dosn't defeat the need for a second battery, cos it has to be charged from the battery anyway. It's just a means of getting a quick voltage distarge at the amp when needed, however it can never deliver more voltage than the battery has stored in it, eg, if your battery is running at 11.5 volts then the cap can output only 11.5 volts.

The second battery idea is great and it will solve all your voltage drop problems, I've done it a number of times and the owners have all been happy with the result. all you need is a battery, some cable, and a battery isolator (so you can flatten the auxillery batt and still be able to start your engine, and also to stop your alternator over working trying to charge both batteries at once). Installation is relatively easy. Any 4x4 shop can point you in the right direction.

Mike :)

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Mike S said:
A capacitor dosn't defeat the need for a second battery, cos it has to be charged from the battery anyway. It's just a means of getting a quick voltage distarge at the amp when needed, however it can never deliver more voltage than the battery has stored in it, eg, if your battery is running at 11.5 volts then the cap can output only 11.5 volts.

The second battery idea is great and it will solve all your voltage drop problems, I've done it a number of times and the owners have all been happy with the result. all you need is a battery, some cable, and a battery isolator (so you can flatten the auxillery batt and still be able to start your engine, and also to stop your alternator over working trying to charge both batteries at once). Installation is relatively easy. Any 4x4 shop can point you in the right direction.

Mike :)
Thanx for the help. I think I wil give it a try. But will it kill my alternator it is the standard vp

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Nope, alt will be fine! Your only charging one battery at a time and the batteries are never trying to charge themselves...so all is good.

R

rattattack1313

Hey Trunk...u wanna draw that up for everyone please??????cheers mate...( more work 4 you...lol..).....

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride