Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dyno Time - 304

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
2nd, i swear automatic dyno runs are supposed to be run in 3rd, i might be getting confused with manuals though.

I vaguely recall when i was dyno running my wifes VR clubsport many moons ago that we had issues where it kept kicking down into 2nd when he was trying to run it in 3rd.

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VP Commodore Executive V8 A4
Don't know why they'd do it in second. Unsure how 567nm compares - if it's high or low: dyno runs seem to be about rwkw. Them Dyno Dynamics ones don't even list the torque.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Well 567nm is way to high for a stock internal Holden 304.

stock spec is 385Nm @ 3600 RPM for maximum torque in a Holden V8 VN-VS commodore.

or 400nm in a HSV enhanced.

So i'd say based on your mods you'd be around 400-420nm torque max.

Even LS1s/ls2s etc dont break 500nm of torque with mods the same as yours.

Thats why i'm saying they've ####ed a dyno setting up clearly.

and the DD dynos do you just need to ask for a torque print out too.

And still $150 is an open offer :p

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well 567nm is way to high for a stock internal Holden 304.

stock spec is 385Nm @ 3600 RPM for maximum torque in a Holden V8 VN-VS commodore.

or 400nm in a HSV enhanced.

So i'd say based on your mods you'd be around 400-420nm torque max.

Even LS1s/ls2s etc dont break 500nm of torque with mods the same as yours.

Thats why i'm saying they've ####ed a dyno setting up clearly.

and the DD dynos do you just need to ask for a torque print out too.

And still $150 is an open offer :p

First and second gears are torque multipliers though aren't they? so 567nm in second would be higher than what she gets at the motor, or in third gear. Off the top of my head, second is 0.73, and third is 1.00:1 so she'd be making 414nm in third.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Why do they bother giving you a torque reading with a chassis dyno??? All they can actually measure is speed and tractive effort, and from those calculate kW. Things like diff ratio, tyre diameter, what gear it's in, torque converter characteristics etc etc all would change the calculated torque reading.

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
my mistake: second gear is 1.625:1, meaning she'd be making 354Nm in third gear. That's quite disappointing.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Don't get to hung up on the numbers. If you are on a stock tune don't expect the world. For starters make sure the dizzy is set properly at 10° BTDC in diagnostic mode, it's not uncommon on high mileage engines with a little wear and tear for the dizzy to be retarded a few degrees and this will hurt power. Make sure all the basic maintenance items are sorted etc. If your keen, fill the tank with 98ron fuel and then advance the dizzy to 14°BTDC in diagnostic mode and then see how it goes ;)

Don't forget that those power/torque ratings are at the engine, so you need to account for driveline losses as well as torque multiplication which will increase torque at the rear wheels but then take into account the rolling diameter of the wheel which will negate some of that.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
What does it rev to at the moment?
I'm sure I was around 550Nm when it was 165rwkw. Auto, 3.08diff, Come heads, r/rockers, 70mm t/body, Tri-y's and twin 2.25 into single 2.5. Nosed over hard after high 5's rpm. Bigger exhaust fixed that issue and it went 178 from memory.
I wouldn't say your torque reading is as out as you think it is. You probably just need a few more RPM potential to make the rwkw you are after. And a stock 304 is not really designed for much rpm.

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
What does it rev to at the moment?
I'm sure I was around 550Nm when it was 165rwkw. Auto, 3.08diff, Come heads, r/rockers, 70mm t/body, Tri-y's and twin 2.25 into single 2.5. Nosed over hard after high 5's rpm. Bigger exhaust fixed that issue and it went 178 from memory.
I wouldn't say your torque reading is as out as you think it is. You probably just need a few more RPM potential to make the rwkw you are after. And a stock 304 is not really designed for much rpm.

Mate, that's 567nm in SECOND gear. They did the run in second for some reason. Seeing how second is 1.65, that would mean she would get 354nm in third. I don't know what revs they went up to, but I'm pretty sure they redlined her. She has a 3.45 LSD but am unsure how this would affect the figure