Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

dynos/operators are all not the same

hurricane ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
i have noticed some figures for bolt-on cars are a bit high(happy dynos) ie tie-down techniques and intake temps that are more than ambient temps which all do play a massive part in the dyno result.Which i was told by my tuner in which he doesnt even use the intake temp probe at all and straps down the car in the correct manner which is set out in the shoot-out mode if any of these procedures are not correctly done the power figure will be higher than it really is.ie bolt-on cars 250rwkw yeah right run it down the 1/4 and see what mph you run ,with that sort of power should be running about 113-115mph not the usual 105-106mph(210rwkw).my car "only" made 265rwkw cam/tune etc so you tell me why would these so called bolt-on cars make 250rwkw.The straps on my car were backed off(1 click) and the power suddenly jumped to 279rwkw which looks good on paper but is not CORRECT AND TRUE.The dyno should only be used for tuning cars.Cheers hope i havent upset any-one but thats my opinion thats all thankyou

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
20 rwkw between figures at those power levels is nothing and quite normal between dynos. Who's going to fight over 20 rwkw on the peak, it's nothing and wont show up much at the track even if there is that much difference. LS1's want good heads to make good power anyway, a cam alone wont do much for them

gts071

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV GTS
Prior to me having fitted a cam my car was bolt ons and tune where I had received these readings:
245.0 rwkw
270.4 rwkw
290.x rwkw

With the same setup and tune!
After having the cam fitted I have not re-visited the above dynos but it goes to show these are really just a tuning tool.

But in saying that same dyno and same day (as long as the operator doesn't fudge the correction figures) it will be a fair reading of all cars as to who has the most power but is may not be an accurate reading... if you know what I mean but all cars should read either hi or low.

Timmos

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
10' VE SSV
That's a huge difference in dynos... I've heard of being a few kw out of place, but never that much..

Assuming they could always be that out of wack, i'd hate to dyno my car after doing a big performance mod, have it show a totally incorrect number and think it produces LESS power than what it started with..

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
dyno figures are a good guide, and the power curve is often more informative than the peak figure. But it's a guide only.

The only time really you could consider comparing one cars figures to another is when they are put on the same dyno on the same day eg a dyno day. As previously mentioned, whether the dyno reads low or high on the day, all the cars tested in that session will be using the same settings (given no foul play from the dyno operator)

Having said that, I've had my car on 4 different dynos. All readings were within 10rwhp of each other. But strangely always hear people complaining at the dyno days that the dyno is reading too low.... But yeah I've seen some seemingly incredible readings from cars with minimal mods, that aren't consistant with the readings from same cars with similar mods. Shootout mode was originally intended to eliminate the variables, but it's still subject to changes to intake air temps etc by the opeator which can vary the figure.

pimpmyvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s-pac
soooo...

i have a vt v6 that i bought 1 year ago and it has 4.11 diff, shortly after i had it i put it on the dyno at independent motorsport in morwell vic just to check that it was running fine, i had a read out at 157hp in third and 156 in fourth, witch seems about right for a vt v6, but i keep blowing off v8's no worrys,(not to blow my own horn, i have been out legged by 4x4 diesal turbs lol)(oh and a discovery 3 v8 damn there fast)... any way soo my figure could be higher or lower do ya reckon?? its all stock part from 4.11 diff

(and yes its my dailey driver, and im in the country and i get on avridge 13-17 ltrs to 100k's soo i dont recomend it 4 everyday use, oh and has a tendancy to blow up tailshafts when ya doing 180k@5500rpm lol)yes i know im ranting now but its my bday happy 20th to me lol

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Does it need to be said?

Horsepower wins arguments, torque wins races.....

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67