Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dysfunctional Hot Rod Shop

Steery

AA 554 G
Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR SS M5
What you think there cars are good, yer they look shiny and stuff but there that full of bad welding and bog who would want one for the price there asking, i know guys that can build a car as good as them with no bog

Got anything to back that accusation up?

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Don't have Foxtel, but I bought the 3 box sets (S1-3).....damn that's alot of time watching the tube.....bought them months ago and still haven't watched them all.

Dwayne is a bit of a nob towards everyone, but like mentioned above, he gets the job done, and really that's all that matters, otherwise none of them would have jobs. I remember one episode Dwayne was moving out of his girlfriends house, I think he said it was coz of lack of communication, he didn't tell his missus about the other girlfriend haha!

IMO Foose does make nicer cars, but I'd rather watch American Hot Rod as ya just about see everything getting done.

excalibur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
Obviously there is no unfair dismissal laws in the U.S. otherwise Coddington would be in a hell of a lot of HOT POO!!! if he was still alive.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
It's a tv series, you've got to be pretty ****ing guilable to believe everything your seeing and take it as "reality". there is no such thing in a tv series, it's produced and edited to make the show entertaining.
if all the guys round the workshop got along sweet and no one got yelled at or told off or made any mistakes, etc.. it would be a boring show and no one would want to watch it.

i do think it's awesome to see how a car comes together though, especially when they're engineering custom parts and stuff, thats cool to watch them design/make.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I prefer Foose's cars..

Chip Foose was actually an apprentice and learned his craft from Boyd Coddington. Apparently they didn't leave on good terms when Chip decided to go out on his own. Boyd was rather pissed about it.

He died on Feb 27 2008,he was a diabetic and died from kidney and liver issues.

How is that possible? I first read about his death towards the end of 2007. Anyway, from what I understand the Coddington shop was in rather bad financial trouble. That was the main reason why they sold off the wheel shop next door. Coddington Hod Rods closed their doors forever 6 months after Boyd's death. Everything was left to his wife (the newer one) and I believe she tried to make a go of it but they were already in so much debt there was no other option.

Charlie ending up going to work for Foose and Dwayne ended up working for West Coast Choppers.

excalibur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
Chip Foose was actually an apprentice and learned his craft from Boyd Coddington. Apparently they didn't leave on good terms when Chip decided to go out on his own. Boyd was rather pissed about it.
Charlie ending up going to work for Foose

This really Pissed Boyd off when Charlie hutton left to work with Foose.
Now a lot of the guys are working for Foose

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
It's a good show i enjoy it!!....thats news to me to on boyd's death, its sad!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It's a tv series, you've got to be pretty ****ing guilable to believe everything your seeing and take it as "reality". there is no such thing in a tv series, it's produced and edited to make the show entertaining.
if all the guys round the workshop got along sweet and no one got yelled at or told off or made any mistakes, etc.. it would be a boring show and no one would want to watch it.

i do think it's awesome to see how a car comes together though, especially when they're engineering custom parts and stuff, thats cool to watch them design/make.

Of course the show is edited, and it would be boring if the personalities didn't clash, but gullibility has nothing to do with this thread. The personalities as presented give a pretty good indication of the types of people involved and some of the "administration", at Coddington's and Mayer's levels, were deplorable. It is amazing that the team held together as it did.

Charlie was not the only one to leave to head to Foose's business. Mike, the guy with the funny fixed upper lip, also left. The show is presented at present in two formats and one, "The Series", is obviously earlier, with the team still together at Coddington's. I'm surprised that some of the guys stayed there at all.

Jet-6, regarding cars "filled with bog", that's a big call. Foose's crew end up wiping heaps of the stuff over complete panels to rub back to perfection too. I'd like to see how well you would do with the sort cars they tackle.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
but when you watch shows like this there is always what seems to be an "impossible" deadline to meet.

Watch a "normal" workshop when theres pressure on and see what goes wrong and quickly fixed, then imagine what these guys are up against to have "that car or that bike on show in Denver tomorrow afternoon"

not having a stab at anyone and I love the work they do, some of the engineering has to be seen to be believed, just you cant have a workshop constantly under that sort of pressure without having problems.