Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E3 cluster in SS

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
Hey All,

I have asked this in a few places and getting some conflicting info and wanted to see if anyone here knew.

Does any one know if a HSV E3 instrument cluster can be programmed to go into a MY11 Series 2 SS ?

Basically i will be a brand new cluster and just need to have the KM programmed but Im unsure if it will work as from what I have been told, HSV program their clusters and have a different manufacturer than Holden.

sv6 power

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
series 2 ss with series 2 hsv should work since i had bought 2 weeks ago hsv instrument cluster dials series 2 for my sv6 series 1 and holden couldnt program it...thats what they told me.

adr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
when u say instrument cluster do you mean the three gauges for oil temp oil pressure and voltage or the edi data logging software which is supplied by motec? holden probably wont do it because its hsv and hsv probably wont do it because your car is not a hsv. if its just the three gauges an independant mech should be able to fit them for you

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Some Holden dealers will not touch HSV clusters unless the cluster is going in to a HSV.

i have been able to program an E2 HSV cluster in to a Calais V, and almost have a HSV E1 Cluster working on an SS Manual (Series I),
but its been a lot of work to get there....
The method I use is programming the EEPROM directly (I.E.I don't use a TECH2 tool)

I have not had a chance to dump the EEPROM from any black cover Clusters, so I cannot say for sure how easy this method would be for a E3 cluster in to a series II.

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
thanks guys. Zerone, If getting the EEPROM from my S2 SS would help let me know. As long as it doesn't damage or wipe any data. I live in Sydney too so can travel to you. let me know if that's any help to you

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Holden doesnt have the software for HSV clusters, they are done by HSV then sent to Holden.

sv6 power

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Holden doesnt have the software for HSV clusters, they are done by HSV then sent to Holden.

My local dealer could do it.

I bought a E3 series 2 hsv cluster a month ago and took it to my local Holden dealer and they couldn't program it for my ve cause I have a series 1 but they tested it by putting hsv software on it to see if it was faulty and it was working 100%.

ASAUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS UTe Cammed

I bought a E3 series 2 hsv cluster a month ago and took it to my local Holden dealer and they couldn't program it for my ve cause I have a series 1 but they tested it by putting hsv software on it to see if it was faulty and it was working 100%.

How much was the cluster if you don't mind me asking?

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
thanks guys. Zerone, If getting the EEPROM from my S2 SS would help let me know. As long as it doesn't damage or wipe any data. I live in Sydney too so can travel to you. let me know if that's any help to you

Hi AndrewMac,
Getting a dump from one of these clusters would be a huge step forward.
I am currently bidding on an SS Series II Cluster on eBay.
If the thing goes cheaply, then I will have something that I can play with and work out EXACTLY what the differences between the white and back cover clusters are.. (Instead of all this heresay that is floating around at the moment).

My EEPROM programmer is also out on loan at the moment, so programming cluster and Radio/HVAC work is on hold.
(Not really a big deal, as I have very little time at the moment, and have been working 12Hr x 5Days leaving me with the weekends to catch up on sleep)....

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)

If you really liked the look of the E3 series cluster, and wanted to fit it to a Early(ish) model VE, you could always try and get a white back cover Calais cluster, and then swap the speedo mask, and front plastics around.
With the white cover clusters, the plastics are all interchangeable, (with the exception of the single / triple LCD speedo mask obviously).

The first thing I ever did to get a S2 HSV cluster in my Calais was to swap these plastic bits over.
(I ended up going the EEPROM programming route because I wanted to learn how to configure the things properly).