Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E85 fuel

#Brock

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammmed Slammed Blown VT SS 3:9 Shift Kitted
I'm running E 85 on a mafless tune, I've had the tank out for two week while getting around to replacing fuel pump.
Had tank out all sealed up with pump n sender still in an I tapped up the fuel lines on the sender but some of the tape had come undone without me noticing. Car is running rough like there is water in my tank.
Would it be possible that water has been attracted to the e85 contaminating my fuel.
Should I just dump the fuel and replace with fresh e85 and replace filter or is there any adatives I could use such as fuel system cleaners any feed back would be appreciated

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Dump a cup of Metho in the tank. Metho will draw water from the Ethanol and bind to it.

Normally water in small amounts is no issue - after all water / meth injection is common. Large amounts - like 10% plus is a different story - and I can't imagine THAT much getting in to your tank.

I think I'd be looking elsewhere for the reason.

Cheers

#Brock

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is metho safe m8? Will be using some nylon ethenol e85 performance stabilizer tomorrow to see if that helps.
Checked injectors today had small amount of gum on them. Cleaned tips with petrol n tooth brush but still running rough. Car was runing fine before it sat for 3 months without being stated and I've never used a any stabilizer in the past. Will post tomorrow see if it resolves the issue.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the E85 should be fine ive got a drum thats 10 months old now still fine to use and a tank full in my car thats been like that for over a month

#Brock

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do use any type of stabilizer 07GTS

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
nope mine just sits in the 200L barrel till its all used up which isnt usually this long but ive had vehicle issues so im glad its staying good

#Brock

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fixed!! Nulon E85 performance stabilizer did the trick!! I'm smiling from ear to ear!! I also learnt that interject is a great product for getting water out of fuel.
My supercharged vt SS 5LTR is going strong again hitting 10 lbs boost
Happy days

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
sounds good

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Dump a cup of Metho in the tank. Metho will draw water from the Ethanol and bind to it.

Normally water in small amounts is no issue - after all water / meth injection is common. Large amounts - like 10% plus is a different story - and I can't imagine THAT much getting in to your tank.

I think I'd be looking elsewhere for the reason.

Cheers
Just a bit of chemistry for ya, Ethanol fuels like E10 and E85 contain 10% or 85% Ethanol. Ethanol is the same alcohol that's in beer wine and spirits.
'Metho' as you buy it from the shop is also Ethanol (drinkable) about 95% mixed with about 5% Methanol (poisonous) just so you can't drink it and get pissed without paying ridiculous amounts of tax to the fun police.
So I'd love to hear how adding a cup of metho to a tank of E85 is going to achieve anything other than give you a tank of E86 just to be different. Ethanol isn't going to draw water out of ethanol :)
Ps don't drink metho or e85 it's not good for you.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Yep agree with greenacc, actually adding the mentholated spirits (the physical act of adding it) may help stir up the mixture but that's about all!

The problem is not with the ethanol absorbing the moisture, it is that the moisture-laden ethanol then separates from the petrol it was suspended in, the petrol being lighter will float to the top and the now E100 (100% ethanol) and the water it's absorbed will settle to the bottom of the tank... where the fuel pickup happens to be!

I also learnt that interject is a great product for getting water out of fuel.

Glad to hear you got it sorted and thanks for the tip!

Andrew