Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Earth/Ground point

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Hey all

I cannot find this asked anywhere, I can find the question "how do I get my red positive cable through the firewall" asked like 100 times, but cannot find anyone asking about the white earth cable.

so, where does everyone bolt their earth cable to on a VT/VX/VY/VZ?

also ...

- I know to match cable sizes, but is it a better idea to go one better on the earth cable, for instance if I'm putting in an 8ga cable positve should I be making the earth 4ga, or just keeping it 8ga?

- would I be smarter to run the earth cable back to the battery alongside the power cable, or at least run it to the engine bay and bolt it to something decent? or is there a decent point in the boot of the car?

and what the hell, while I'm here ... question about this amp Jaycar Electronics

... would i be better running 4ga straight into it seeing as its a 5 channel amp, or would this be too much for it? Im on holidays and re-wiring the car, so while the old stuff is stripped out Im trying to work out whether to replace it with bigger cable (4ga) or not (currently 8ga power cable)

cheers

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Hey all

I cannot find this asked anywhere, I can find the question "how do I get my red positive cable through the firewall" asked like 100 times, but cannot find anyone asking about the white earth cable.

so, where does everyone bolt their earth cable to on a VT/VX/VY/VZ?

There are a few threads on this in the section, but the search function is rather flawed on JC so it can be a pain to find them. However, a good place in a VT/VX/VY/VZ boot is where the rear seat bolts to the chassis. Make sure you strip/scratch the paint back where the bolt/washer goes so there is a good connection there.

also ...

- I know to match cable sizes, but is it a better idea to go one better on the earth cable, for instance if I'm putting in an 8ga cable positve should I be making the earth 4ga, or just keeping it 8ga?

Just keep it at the same size as the power cable. Not just the amp ground, but the battery to chassis ground also.

- would I be smarter to run the earth cable back to the battery alongside the power cable, or at least run it to the engine bay and bolt it to something decent? or is there a decent point in the boot of the car?

Try and keep the earth cable as short as possible (i.e. under 1m). As I said earlier, a good place in a VT/VX/VY/VZ boot is where the rear seat bolts to the chassis. Make sure you strip/scratch the paint back where the bolt/washer goes so there is a good connection there.

and what the hell, while I'm here ... question about this amp Jaycar Electronics

... would i be better running 4ga straight into it seeing as its a 5 channel amp, or would this be too much for it? Im on holidays and re-wiring the car, so while the old stuff is stripped out Im trying to work out whether to replace it with bigger cable (4ga) or not (currently 8ga power cable)

cheers

4 guage will be fine for that amp. 8ga is probably a little bit small depending on what power you are running. But at 2ohm thats drawing a fair bit of power so i'd be running 4ga.

I installed a sub and amp in a VT today, only around 500wrms but I still ran 4 gauge. Gives room to move if she ever upgrades the sub/amp as well.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
cool, thanks dude!

you dont need to tell me about the search, Ive tried for a solid hour without success.

but the battery to chassis ground also.
call me an idiot (I am when it comes to car audio) but what the? I get that the battery is grounded to begin with (duh) but i thought from there I am running positive cable from the positive on the battery terminal, and connecting the earth from the amp to the chassis of the car at the rear.

Do I also need to run some 4ga from the battery negative terminal to the chassis as well ... or am I too overtired to comprehend?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
cool, thanks dude!

you dont need to tell me about the search, Ive tried for a solid hour without success.

call me an idiot (I am when it comes to car audio) but what the? I get that the battery is grounded to begin with (duh) but i thought from there I am running positive cable from the positive on the battery terminal, and connecting the earth from the amp to the chassis of the car at the rear.

Do I also need to run some 4ga from the battery negative terminal to the chassis as well ... or am I too overtired to comprehend?

You don't have to but it might help. It might not matter for what you're running given the size of the standard ground. Wouldn't hurt though, its only 30cm or so of wire (if that) plus a ring terminal.

In the VT I did today I didn't upgrade it (due to a effing siren everytime I disconnected the battery terminal, so I didn't remove the battery lol) but plan to when I have more time next week. However it had no issues (bass didn't cut out or anything like that) so didn't appear to need it running around 500wrms. Yours is 700wrms all up @ 2ohm so not a huge difference.

The ground on the VT seems to be a white plug type thing bolted to the chassis (inside of the guard area) behind where the battery is. Just run a ground from the negative terminal to that bolt. Not sure if this is the same setup on a VY/VZ as I have never done an install on anything later than my uncles old VX.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
I also recently done an install in a VT. 2 amps with a total of about 800wrms using 4ga power wire into a distro block with 8ga to each amp. the monoblock pulling about 5-600wrms through 8ga fine. With standard battery/alternator, everything is working perfectly first go. I ran power down drivers and rca down passengers side.

I had trouble deciding the earth point but im 99% sure i ended up using the bolt securing the seatbelt reel to the chassis on the RHS.

Hope you get your problems sorted :)

Rodrigo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Berlina Vz 2005
Can anybody help me? Commodore Vz 2005 Instruments Gauges deads

Hi I Have a 2005 Commodore Executive, and my gauges instruments are dead, I could not find the ground point belonging to it, if this is not the problem. If thats is notthe problem, as i can solve the fault?, Sorry for my English, but I live in Brazil and I never had good English classes.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Hi I Have a 2005 Commodore Executive, and my gauges instruments are dead, I could not find the ground point belonging to it, if this is not the problem. If thats is notthe problem, as i can solve the fault?, Sorry for my English, but I live in Brazil and I never had good English classes.

Check the fuses under the dash for a start, otherwise sometimes if the alternator isnt charging properly it can cause the gauges to drop out,

Rodrigo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Berlina Vz 2005
Thanks, i go try this solution.