Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Eaton bolt on

Redvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vs ute v6
I've been told three different things on this matter. As is usually the case!
Vertsion 1: Yes you can bolt on an L67 eaton supercharger onto an ecotec without any internal upgrades (I think an adapter plate is needed) much like you can install a raptor or centrifugal style unit with no internal changes.
Version 2: you can but need to change the ecu
Version 3: no you can't you dick, just get a v8!! (This conversation did not end well haha)
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers Redvs

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
1. Well you can but need to grind out a bit in the intake ports in the head for the injector to clear (sort of not internal until you bolt the manifold on..) keep in mind it's 9.4:1 cr so running heaps of boost will most like not end well
2. Yes (applies to no.1)
3. refer above.

Internally it's just different rods, pistons (crank balanced to suit), cam and balance shaft that really differs between na and fi engines.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
heads are different and hold the injectors instead of being in the manifold, U could get away with stock internals but for how long.. And u'll need a retune or the proper ecu.. New balancer and extra pulleys and belt.

A search will yield the answers U seek, but a full conversion will be cheaper and easier.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
And u'll need a retune or the proper ecu..

You'll need a dyno tune anyway if you want it to last because of the difference in compression and injectors blah blah blah.

Easier and cheaper to get the complete motor.

Redvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vs ute v6
Yeah, just had a chance to get one for next to nothing and thought I'd see if it was plausible. So why can you just directly bolt on a centrifugal unit on an echotec?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Yeah, just had a chance to get one for next to nothing and thought I'd see if it was plausible. So why can you just directly bolt on a centrifugal unit on an echotec?

You can't just bolt on any centrifugal, you still face the same problems, but a few companies have developed their own kits specifically to suit standard Ecotecs. That's the difference.

Roots also tend to put out waaay more heat and their boost comes on much lower in the rev range whereas centrifugal come on much higher in the rev range.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
I would just like to point out that that link is inaccurate. The counter weights cast into the crank are the exact same as the l36 it was entirely externally balanced. Also the piston skirts were Teflon coated not ceramic coated.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore

The difference is that a centrifugal unit is a "side mount" supercharger, they do not need anything on the engine to be changed in order to mount it (apart from the intake pipe), the supercharger you have is part of the L67's intake & is bolted to the top on the engine.

I think you might need to do a bit of research, also next time you find a good deal, make sure you know what it is and how it can work for you.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Top swap L67 is a good thing. Swap heads, intake, charger, front of engine pulley system, injectors and mod existing loom. Done it plenty of times and dyno tuned them after with them all living long happy lives. One has been full modded an puts down 230rwkw with great torque and response. Smashes many an 8 and imports no probs too

Avoid the tune and you'll be building it soon enough after the swap