Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

eBay ALDL Cables with Software - Do they work?

JamesD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series 2 (2001)
Hi everyone,

This question has probably been asked 20,000 times in the past..

The ALDL diagnostic cables with software that you can get off eBay, are they any good and do they give accurate diagnostics more specifically with reporting error codes.
Is it any different to the bridging method with the port (Bridge 5 & 6 - Count how many times engine light flashes)

This is what I'm referring to:
USB Aldl Cable Holden Commodore VR VS VT VX VY VZ OBD Airbag Diagnostic Scantool | eBay

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
They work fine. The software they come with are free versions already available over the net for download so pretty irrelevant to the purchase.

Leaves bridging codes for dead as you can get live data logs for analysis of pretty much any sensor data as well as the codes. They're a great investment IMO, saves shooting in the dark when somethings wrong by replacing components indiscriminately.

JamesD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series 2 (2001)
Thanks mate. Appreciate the response.

theghostoftime1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt berlina series 1 V6
Hi everyone,

This question has probably been asked 20,000 times in the past..

The ALDL diagnostic cables with software that you can get off eBay, are they any good and do they give accurate diagnostics more specifically with reporting error codes.
Is it any different to the bridging method with the port (Bridge 5 & 6 - Count how many times engine light flashes)

This is what I'm referring to:
USB Aldl Cable Holden Commodore VR VS VT VX VY VZ OBD Airbag Diagnostic Scantool | eBay

Hi mate, i got one from ebay about 2 months ago to find a few fault codes. The software takes a while to configure for the right car and engine type. Might require extra internet browsing to find the correct file to work with your car. I have a 99 series 1 berlina v6 and i had to find another file online to get it to read the computer so i could get real time monitoring working. If you have a vt-vy v6 ecotec n/a or super6 you need this software. If you have a vt series 2 v8 5.7ltr to vy series 2 you need a OBD2 connector which isnt backwards compatible with the ecotec motors as they use OBD1 connector. The OBD2 connects are more available and cheaper and a hell of alot easier to use, just plug in and done plus you have the benifit of bluetooth and ipad/android tablets to connect