Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec burns oil, no smoke

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
My ecotec has always burned oil since i got it. The usage is slowly going up and now uses about 500ml a month. engine has done 236,000 k's. Doesn't blow smoke that i can see. Some of the plugs are black when i change em, and 1 or 2 grow a lump on the side of the bent electrode.
Is there any way i can tell if it is the stem seals or somethig else, rings?
if its the seals what are the best ones to use ? thanks for any help.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
My opinion only but I wouldn't worry. Look at it as extra lubrication for the rings. Oil is cheap - 500ml costs about $4 for top quality oil whilst a set of seals will cost about $50 plus the hassle of installing them....and if you get a mechanic to do it for you figure on about $400.
Valve stem seals will cause smoke after being parked for some time or prolonged idling but only for 3 or 4 seconds whilst rings will blow smoke if you bring the revs up to about 1500 and hold it there for a minute or so and will continue to blow smoke till you drop the revs.
Another test for worn rings or a worn bore is to remove the oil filler cap whilst the engine is hot and idling and if air is pumped out of the hole it indicates that there is excessive 'blow-by' from worn rings.

vshilux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 surf
mine uses more than that ! but it is in a 4x4 hilux Surf
an gets hammerd every weekend!
around 200 000 kls its done

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
use thicker oil? could have an oil leak somewhere? mine loses a fraction between services, but i know its from the back of the sump

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
use thicker oil? could have an oil leak somewhere? mine loses a fraction between services, but i know its from the back of the sump

I'd prob say you've got an oil leak somewhere, the underneath of holdens seem to have many areas it fills before it starts leaking over your drive, especially if you drive down dusty roads

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hako that information is gold, cheers.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Dam thread digger ... at least its my own thread tho lol, haha.

just got home from a 3 hour drive and took the filler cap off to check for hot air. There was almost no hot air at all coming out the hole. At most there was a babies breath.
Does that mean its definately, or at least most likely to be the valve stem seals ? I have renewed interest in solving this problem since i checked the oil level recently and had to add 1.5 litres to bring it back up to full. Thats a bit too much consumption for my liking ...

Jase_81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S V6 LPG
if your doing excessive kms you will use oil. motors are meant to burn oil if your giving it a hard time it will use more.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I wish you were right Jase but i don't really give it a hard time and think 1.5L in 2000 k's is a bit much.

Has anyone with an oil thirsty ecotec replaced the Valve stem seals and noticed reduced oil consumption ?

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
if its burning that much, it would be noticable with exhaust smoke/smell