Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec cam, help me choose?

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
Im thinking I will be better of buying a project motor to rebuild in my garage and do a cam and get the head ported whilst im at it. By the time my current motor will be ready for a freshen up, I'll have another one waiting to be dropped in. I'm leaning towards a lower compression stroker kit suited for FI in the future. I could just sell this car down the road and buy an l67 but I really like my vs and the idea of doing the work myself as a hobby whilst I have nothing better to do.

Now to keep am eye out for a spare motor with a blown head gasket or something to strip down. I've rebuilt a straight six and many, many, many rotaries before, so a V6 ecotec shouldn't be too challenging. In the mean time I'll do suspension and brakes to the vs ready for the bigger power down the road.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I just rang come racing and ordered there ecotec 4.2L engine combination to assemble myself. Now to go to the bank and say good bye to $9000. And now I need to upgrade my tool arsenal and buy an engine hoist and engine stand. Thankfully I'm moving house in 8 weeks and it has a double garage.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
the entire engine, just not assembled. have a look on the come racing website.

this is it in a nutshell, taken from there website

The engine here consists of our normally aspirated 4.2 Ecotec buildup with fully ported factory cast heads, 4.2 bottom end with COME Racing cam part # CSBR-636 (228 @.050" intake/236 @.050" exhaust duration, .570" lift on both). compression ratio of 10.25:1, COME Twin Throttle Body plenum intake replacing the stock manifold.
4.2 Stroker combination making 312 BHP @5750 rpm and 300 ft.lbs torque @ 4750 rpm

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah, they reckon with a high stall and 3.7 l.sd a vs with there engine combo should manage a high 12 1/4 and that's n/a. Main reason I'm doing it is because I miss the torque of the falcon 6's, now with this I'll have more torque then that in a light vs. and reliable, which convinced me to spend so much on a motor. I won't need a V8 with this.

Trikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Manual
Hey HoldenOn tried to PM you but your inbox is full, I have an engine for sale if you are interested and I am on the Central Coast so close to you just PM me for detaisl

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey trikky, sorry but I just bought a motor from come racing to assemble.

Potta9

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve r8 , B2600
You sir are my hero.

I'm just about to start building a supercharged Buick v6 to go in my mintruck. Never even looked at one before only ever done LS v8's. So I'm keen to see a build thread on this one.
Goodluck

Cheers Luke.

Trikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Manual
no worries, must have misread your post as in getting the strokcer kit not a complete engine from them
teaches me to be on here while at work LOL