Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec Cold Start Problem

mcvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive V6 Auto
Hi all,

I was on holidays and did not drive my car for a week. When I got back my cars was fine for one day.

Now when I start the car when the engine is cold the idel is rough (it's like the car is running out of fuel). This morrning just after starting the car I reved the engine I noticed that the revs droped and the engine stalled.

After about 30seconds the car runs fine.

Any advice would be great.

P.S. I installed a performance chip a bit over a month ago, but given that it ran fine with the new chip for a month I dont think this is the problem.

V-Josh-R.

NEED PACEMAKERS.
Reaction score
Members Ride
94-VR Commodore Ute
Check your fuel filter for a clog or something, or something wrong with the rails?

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
no one stole your fuel?? sounds like fuel problem as said

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Would be worth checking the fuel pressure regulator too. There is a vacuum hose running of it. Check this for fuel. If there is any fuel in the vacuum line, replace it. The regulator may be leaking a little bit of fuel back into the inlet manifold, flooding the engine. Once started the car may run rough as it burns all this extra fuel, but can use it up when it is running.

Could check error codes too.

[Linkin Park]

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
'04 VZ Executive, '98 EL Falcon, '95 NF Fairlane
Hi all,

I was on holidays and did not drive my car for a week. When I got back my cars was fine for one day.

Now when I start the car when the engine is cold the idel is rough (it's like the car is running out of fuel). This morrning just after starting the car I reved the engine I noticed that the revs droped and the engine stalled.

After about 30seconds the car runs fine.

Any advice would be great.

P.S. I installed a performance chip a bit over a month ago, but given that it ran fine with the new chip for a month I dont think this is the problem.

It is the chip my mats el falcon had a very similar prob. the car was sputterin and stalling constanly be punched the computer (not too hard) and that fixed it. the chip might have a loose connection. Im not sure but i think it is a power chip in his car

mcvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive V6 Auto
The car definitly had fuel in it. However, this is the first tank of V power fuel I have put in it.

I have also noticed that when it is running rough if I feed the throttle on the revs climb nicely but if I quickly go to about 50% throttle the revs drop and the engine wants to stall.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Checked plugs?

V-Josh-R.

NEED PACEMAKERS.
Reaction score
Members Ride
94-VR Commodore Ute
The car definitly had fuel in it. However, this is the first tank of V power fuel I have put in it.

I have also noticed that when it is running rough if I feed the throttle on the revs climb nicely but if I quickly go to about 50% throttle the revs drop and the engine wants to stall.

Definetly sounds like a flooding issue. The car will roll the revs on slowly but when you gun it it cant burn the fuel and therefore no drive power?

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Definetly sounds like a flooding issue. The car will roll the revs on slowly but when you gun it it cant burn the fuel and therefore no drive power?

Which could also be the plugs.

mcvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive V6 Auto
Just a reminder that it is only an issue when the engine is cold, after running for 30sec to 1 min it is fine.