Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec Coolant Flow Diagram

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I actually think these are a good idea however the "spin on" adapter has very limited heat transfer ability due to the small surface area in the adapter. More modern engines use much larger heat exchangers in the block which are much more efficient at removing heat from the oil. Really need a larger cooling system to cope with the extra heat been transferred too.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yes but it all depends on how stressed the engine and cooling system design is from the factory. With the Holden V6, it may have been all that was needed to run these cars reliably in the middle east was a small increase in oil cooling capacity. As such, the factory (if factory fitted) spin on type oil/water heat exchangers may have been all that was required to do the job effectively and economically :rolleyes:

For more modern highly strung powerful engines, such may need more help than these spin on heat exchangers can provide hense the different designs to cool engines with package constriants.

(I haven't checked but the VF SSVR motorsport edition has additional oil cooler that i think is plumbed into the coolant system and has a bigger plate based heat exchanger which is larger than these spin on kobs ive seen in the past)_

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
LOL, I never looked at the OP's location.

It certainly wouldn't hurt.

for the OP I would just plumb it into the heater circuit and call it good.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't see anything in the service manual about this water/oil heat exchanger.

I'd love to get my hands on one though.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Thanks chaps. Yeah, I guess this one would have been sold out of the dealership like this in 2004. I guess they are all like this. I am going to poke around in the wreckers and see if I can find one that is in its original state.

There are no other spouts available other than what the heater system offers. It hooked into the heater system somehow in the first place.

Nothing on the radiator, which is where I thought it would have gone.

These cars are indestructible here, so it is working. This one in particular.

Interesting discussion. I will come back with what I find.

altonarona

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 V6 Berlina Wagon
Apparently in LHD markets they did come standard with those oil coolers. See attached image
1647966999142.png

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
How did you go with this, get it sorted?

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Yes, I did, thanks very much.

I pulled out the old thermostat. Found someone had stripped the outer bolt with overtightening somewhere down the track. Housing part of the thread. Just tightened it back down for the time being.

Cleaned up all the spouts. They came up like new with these small wire brushes I bought in a pack of 3 for like $2 I had been dying to use. Wire toothbrushes.

Put the old hoses on and and some radiator cleaner in there. Gave it a bit of a run.

Then I just emptied it and filled it again with distilled water about 20 times over the next few days until there was pretty much only distilled water in there.

Pulled the radiator out, reverse flushed it.

Put all new hoses on with nice new wide clamps. The good ones.

Everything hooked up right thanks to the diagram I was given. That was awesome.

Syphoned out the coolant bottle.

Took it to this guy out the back of mine who welded up the stripped thread, drilled and retapped it for me for $30.

Put the new thermostat and coolant in. Enjoyed the ease of that air bleeder screw.

Like new again. Back in action for another round.

Very satisfying.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Apparently in LHD markets they did come standard with those oil coolers. See attached imageView attachment 235416
Does anyone have instructions how to remove the oil filter housing from the motor? I want to get one from a wreck. I was buggered if I could see how it comes off. It would help if I knew see the steps before I give it another go.