Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECOTEC Double Cam chain

cam95

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II S Manual
Hi there just wondering who has fitted the mace cam chain package?
What can i expect when i jump in to it?
Tips Tricks?
Understand i have to drop coolant, have ordered a gasket for re fit, heard sometimes two gaskets are needed for clearance

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Hi there just wondering who has fitted the mace cam chain package?
What can i expect when i jump in to it?
Tips Tricks?
Understand i have to drop coolant, have ordered a gasket for re fit, heard sometimes two gaskets are needed for clearance

Are you referring to the double row TIMINIG chain? You'll need a degree wheel to dial in the cam as I don't think the cam sprocket has timing marks, yes coolant n oil need to go, pretty sure you'll need water pump gaskets as well as think you need to take off the water pump as some of the bolts secure the timing cover to the block.

You'll need a way to determine TDC maybe you can put a feeler gauge through the spark plug hole to avoid removing heads.

Why are you putting in double row? What have you done to engine?? Stock is fine for oem replacement, unless you have 140 + valve springs

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
^^^ sort off.

The double row timing chain kits do come with timing marks.

Double row chain is recommended with the #105lbs springs (stage 2 comp cams recommended) and a must with the #130lbs springs.

You will need to remove the 4 large bolts for the water pump, however you don't need to remove the actual water pump from the timing case which is held in place by another 5 smaller bolts. On the other hand, if the water pump is getting old then replacing it at the same time won't hurt, fit a new thermostat at the same time.

If you remove the intake manifold carefully you can minimise any coolant getting into the oil, I would however recommend changing the oil fairly soon after doing a cam change if your not certain about the quantity of coolant getting into the oil. A small amount of coolant will get burnt off fairly quickly.

If you turn the engine over and line up the timing marks on the original timing chain gears you will ensure the engine is at TDC which will make fitting a new cam fairly easy.

Yes, a doubling up the gasket is generally enough to ensure clearance for the timing chain, the other option is to buy the oil pump cover from MACE that has been machined for extra clearance.

cam95

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II S Manual
^^^ sort off.

The double row timing chain kits do come with timing marks.

Double row chain is recommended with the #105lbs springs (stage 2 comp cams recommended) and a must with the #130lbs springs.

You will need to remove the 4 large bolts for the water pump, however you don't need to remove the actual water pump from the timing case which is held in place by another 5 smaller bolts. On the other hand, if the water pump is getting old then replacing it at the same time won't hurt, fit a new thermostat at the same time.

If you remove the intake manifold carefully you can minimise any coolant getting into the oil, I would however recommend changing the oil fairly soon after doing a cam change if your not certain about the quantity of coolant getting into the oil. A small amount of coolant will get burnt off fairly quickly.

If you turn the engine over and line up the timing marks on the original timing chain gears you will ensure the engine is at TDC which will make fitting a new cam fairly easy.

Yes, a doubling up the gasket is generally enough to ensure clearance for the timing chain, the other option is to buy the oil pump cover from MACE that has been machined for extra clearance.

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Now I was under the impression you could run this camchain package with standard cam and springs?

Is it likely I will need the two gaskets for clearance?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
You can run the timing chain with the factory cam and springs, but if the car is stock standard there really isn't a reason to fit it. The are designed to take the extra stress from stronger valve springs and more aggressive cam ramp rates.

Just get the extra gasket, just in case.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
To fit a double row timing chain you will need to disable the balance shaft (I forgot to mention this in my first post..... Oops....). Yes, a double row timing chain is probably overkill for the standard cam/engine, however one of the weaknesses of the 3800/ecotec V6 engines is the factory single row timing chain/tensioner. These tensioners do wear out/fail with age which will lead to cam timing variations. You could just fit another tensioner if you're only intending to just fit another single row chain/tensioner. Even the after market single row chain still uses a tensioner :(

cam95

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II S Manual
thanks for all the info guys, great help

Am I right in saying the tensioner can be or will need to be pulled off with the double row chain?

Engine is stock at the moment however as we all do, I have some big plans for future so I can't see the harm in doing it. After all $160 for the kit from mace, you can't go wrong!

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Don't even bother with doing anything to the v6 buy a v8. I say this as a owner of a v6 commodore that I have invested some coin in and as an owner of a v8 commodore. I have experience in both and I will say now don't bother with the v6 unless you are going to throw a turbo at it which is what I'm going to do with my v6 commodore.

The buick v6 is not optimised for rpm no matter how much crap you throw at it it has inherit weaknesses so that leaves you with deciding how to make more power and then turboing makes more sense as you can make very good power lower in the rev range.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
WTF......

The Buick doesn't rev because the cam is designed that way, nothing to do with the rest of the engine bar the timing chain/tensioner and that is a longevity issue. The Buick V6 engines are tough as nails, can take a **** load of boost without needing to be opened up, just go and have a look what Delcowizzid does with em :D

BTW, I own both V6 and V8 and both have their advantages and disadvantages so no need for the trash talk ehh.

Am I right in saying the tensioner can be or will need to be pulled off with the double row chain?

Correct, no tensioner needed with the double row timing chain.

cam95

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II S Manual
Can anyone give me some info on crank pulley removal? what do i need etc etc?