Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec heater core delete

Spac_on_crack

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute
Hi all

I have aVS Ecotec ute that's driven on restricted area concession and never sees a rwc.

Ive just finished up removing the AC compressor and condenser and put the non AC belt on. I now want to remove the heater tap and heater core to keep it more simple and reliable.

I've seen a part listing from Mackay rubber for a bypass hose but I can't find any pictures of one fitted or any other info.

I've found threads on temporarily bypassing both tap and core but nothing about permanently deleting them. It says just join the 2 hoses. I'm assuming the 2 heater hoses coming from the motor before meeting the tap ?I've attached a picture from the net of a heater tap with all the hoses still fitted if someone could possibly mark out what I'm joining up when they talk about just bypassing it ?

I've got the manifold off at the moment doing the lim gaskets and giving everything a clean. I'm wondering if I just block off where the heater pipe and O ring slides into the manifold behind the tensioner? If the hot water is no longer going to the heater tap do I even need the pipe at all ?

Attachments

• images (89).jpeg
    images (89).jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 166

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You still need coolant to flow via the heater pipes, when the thermostat is closed its a bypass allowing coolant to circulate through the engine. We've seen the same listing but the actual hose looks wrong. Just go to your local SCA and search through their hoses for something that will fit.

Spac_on_crack

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute
And after that, send me your heater core, as mine died and it was a bit cold the other night out driving in the rain to the race track.
Cheers
Yeh easy bro if your still chasing one once I've figured it out your welcome to it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hahahaha, I think he was joking. It's a dash out job to remove the core in one piece.

Reactions: Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hahahaha, I think he was joking. It's a dash out job to remove the core in one piece.
That depends on the tools you use...
iu

:)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That depends on the tools you use...
iu

:)
I thought someone was going to suggest the other way, when I saw a photo of it done this way today.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yeh easy bro if your still chasing one once I've figured it out your welcome to it.
It's probably the distance between us more than anything.

I did assume you were taking it out probably, so you can plug the firewall holes etc.

I priced a new replacement today, so will probably beat you to it, but you never know.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Think I paid under $150 for a brand new replacement from my local rad shop.