Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ecotec in other cars

T

trdriver

Hey all,

while i don't have a commodore myself, i was looking for some information that commodore drivers could help me out with.

i own a 1980 triumph tr7. while some of you may know what that is, others might not but basically its a british sports car that was released too ahead of its time. But anyway, this car is also extremely underpowered and alot of people put in the rover all-alloy v8, which for a v8 is still underpowered.

Now what those yanks did to fix the problem was use the buick v6, in fact they make a conversion kit for the diy people. the kit actually works with the commodore v6's (great huh).

i was told that the ecotec was the best engine to use aswell as being the closest to its buick counterpart. i was actually after some info on the engine aswell as gearboxes and modifications that are generally done to the engines to make them perform better. any useful info would be great.

Cheers, Jimbo

Freddy Kruger

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SS UTE
ecotec are transplanted into everything. From Rodeo's to FJ's to EH's... There also great for throwing it small cars like gemini's as the have a bit of go in em in a light car :p

Also i think the ecotec engine is also a series2 buick engine... well that what ive been told.

If you want info on mods and that have a look round here on the forums theres heaps of info for you.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
from my understanding the change in holdens occured from vr to VS, the VR was the last non ecotech car using the buick engine and then in the vs they re did it with ecotech. i think it mainly has to do with more sensors around the engine and a new cat converter or something like that.

G

Grommitt

my mate put one into a VH **** me it goes like the clappers now..

he loves it especially with a spool and 3.7's..

T

trdriver

ah k kool.
what about stuff like the gearbox. they have a turbo 700 don't they. and whats the difference between like the turbo 350, 400 and 700

T

t2te50

An Ecotec In An Ra 28 Celica (mustang) Is My Next Project, A Sexy Looking Car With Pedigree To Boot. I"ll Put Fr17 Simmons On It.

Bakes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII Ute
The Ecotec had the 4L60E (electronic T700). The T700 was in VN Series1 and maybe later VN's also, someone here will clarify this. The T700 is basically a T350 with an overdrive (T350 has 3 speeds, last being 1:1 ratio, T700 has 4 speeds, last around 0.72?). The T400 is stronger than the T350, and still three speed. The 4L60E was used in all V6 and V8 commies since (I think) VP up until and including the VY. The VZ V8's I think still use it also. The VY V8 tonners had the 4L65E as did the HSV's.