Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec replacement and rebuild; sanity check, tips/tricks?

Rawrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais 3.8
Hey guys. This is a two part request for advice. The first part, is a sanity check as to what the hell is going on with my motor, second part is just asking for general advice on engine replacement in these cars, and my first rebuild. Sorry it will be long. Have a coffee on me if you wanna come round and help me diagnose this thing.

PART 1

Unless I can get an Ecotec magician to come around, diagnose and tell me otherwise, I've got a bottom end issue. It's had a "slight" knock for maybe 40,000k's with 230 on the clock now, sets CEL for "left bank knock sensor circuit malfunction", which is getting more frequent. Sometimes you can feel the ignition retard (or advance? I get the two mixed up) the timing which sets the CEL, which makes me doubt that it's a knock sensor actually causing (or not detecting) the knock.

I was thinking it was the knock sensor(s) because of the fact that after 40,000k's it's stayed the same and presented no other symptoms of bottom end damage, but the knock is just starting to get worse. Sometimes when pulling onto the highway under load for example, the knock gets a LOT louder, and actually sounds metallic and a little hollow. My housemate (who is adamant it's a knock sensor due to the code it throws on an aftermarket scan tool) took me for a ride in one of his utes (a Hilux) which has a stretched timing chain and is actually doing a big end bearing. This noise sounded exactly like the big end noise in the hilux. **** myself the first time I heard it, because I was towing at the time. I immediately stopped and had the car towed home.

Figured.. ehh maybe it's because there's like an extra ton and a half of load on it, maybe it will be ok for the next little bit without trailers. Until it made the noise again, pulling onto the highway under relatively little load, just my fat arse in the car and maybe an extra 40kg of miscellaneous items.

Obviously I'm trying to take it as easy as possible, trying to drive as little as possible, but I'm worried. Something definitely sounds wrong and I'd like to replace the engine sooner rather than later.

PART 2

Regardless of what is wrong with my engine, I want to replace it temporarily. Here is what I'm thinking.

Done plenty of engine in/outs (not on Commodores mind, more like JDM sports cars and one or two Japanese tuktuk's), but never rebuilt one. I figured now is as good a time as any to learn. Have a friend who is keen to help out and loan me tools after he's finished putting the LS in his Corvette back together. But I'm wondering what the general "process" is in rebuilding a motor, if there is a general list of things involved.

I'm also wondering about where to source a temporary engine for my car while the original is rebuilt. I still need to drive the car while its engine is on the stand. I've had a look at wrecker motors but I'm not instilled with the greatest confidence, I don't like the idea of mystery motors in general, but is it hard to go wrong with an ecotec? Again, this engine would be temporary.. 6 months to a year maybe. I guess what I'm asking here is just things to look out for in general.

Can I use a VT or VX motor in my VY Series II?
Do I need to screw around with the ECU or will the ECU just run another motor like normal?
Are there any weird sensors, components or wiring loom differences I need to know about, or are they all the same?

Any advice at all is gratefully appreciated, as always. Sorry for the long post!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
All ecotecs are basically the same other than a few other minor production changes. Ideally though you do want to use one from another VY as these were the best.

If it is indeed a bottom end knock a used 2nd hand engine is probably easier than rebuild.

Rawrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais 3.8
Yeah, a used second hand engine is the idea. I'm over worrying about it and I really doubt it is a knock sensor. But I don't want to have to worry about a used engine either, which is why I'm apprehensive about getting one from a wreckers, especially when they're from straight bodies, which all of the Commodores I looked at at my local wreckers were.

The only reason I'm looking at a rebuild is really as a sort of project. Something on a stand to play around and learn with. As I've said previously, I still need to drive the car regularly, so it needs a new motor either way. But I would love some tips on sourcing one. What to look for, what warning signs there may be, that sort of thing. I've not bought a wrecker motor before.

Cheers