Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec sump filling with coolant...

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
So... Lol. I decided to change out my head gaskets on the Twin Turbo from the leaky Cometics MLS to Felpro composite gaskets.

Put it all back together, went to bleed the cooling system and noticed it took alot longer than normal for the coolant to start to come out the nipple. When the motor cooled, the top radiator hose sucked in! Ive never ever seen that on this car before.

I eventually bled the system and took it for a good 200km drive.

I noticed the temp gauge sitting very slightly above where it normally runs but thought because i was doing mountain driving it was just getting warm like most cars.

Got to where i was going, looking for a parking spot. Starts overheating... Let it cool, no drips, radiator took about 1.5L of coolant.

Reservoir was full, didnt suck back into the radiator. I thought it was probably the cap. Cap is ok. The system is holding pressure to suck back form the reservoir.

Then i had a thought. I gingerly pulled out the dipstick. Chocolate milk and double the full level.

No oil in the coolant though.

Anyway, got home, pulled off the inlet manifold, new gaskets were still ok. Couldnt see anything wrong. Thats as far as ive got so far.

Cant see how its the new head gaskets. Im using ARP studs torqued to 75ft/lb.

Coolant is pissing into the sump from somewhere but not into the cooling system. Coolant is clean.

One thing ive noticed, before i changed the head gaskets was that the reservoir was NOT topping up the radiator. I kept having to top up the coolant from the radiator cap but it was losing coolant by blowing out the head gaskets under boost lol but not a huge amount. Nothing like its dumping coolant into the sump now. Oil was always clean. Im thinking as the motor was cooling, the cooling system wasnt holding pressure to top up the radiator. Im thinking coincedence.

Any ideas before i go to the trouble of 400 days worth of work pulling turbos and manifolds apart? Any quick checks other than pressure test and compression test? Ive got a feeling the compression test wont show anything until the motor is hot. Dont feel like getting burned by the turbo manifolds lol.

BottleFedVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0L & 80 Series Landcruiser
Do you have alloy heads???
If you do as soon as you pull them off the motor after they have been torqued into position and heated (read run motor to operating temp),
they will be no longer true square with the block deck. to "True up the heads they may be required to be machined.
If this wasn't done when you done your head gaskets the first time, this may be why it has gone from leaking head gaskets to pushing the fluid into the sump.
I would also look at going a copper head gasket as I don't think a composite one would hold up to the required cylinder pressures.

Good Luck and I hope that helps. :cool:

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you have alloy heads???
If you do as soon as you pull them off the motor after they have been torqued into position and heated (read run motor to operating temp),
they will be no longer true square with the block deck. to "True up the heads they may be required to be machined.
If this wasn't done when you done your head gaskets the first time, this may be why it has gone from leaking head gaskets to pushing the fluid into the sump.
I would also look at going a copper head gasket as I don't think a composite one would hold up to the required cylinder pressures.

Good Luck and I hope that helps. :cool:

Cast iron heads. Thanks Mate.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Pull the water pump and check the timing cover...may just be a coincidence that when you fixed other leaks the next weak link in the chain went...failing that is it possible when you did the heads 1/2 a cup of coolant didn't end up in the sump, then during the run it mixed (assuming you didnt flush the oil after) It doesnt take much water/coolant to turn the oil a milky color.....

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pull the water pump and check the timing cover...may just be a coincidence that when you fixed other leaks the next weak link in the chain went...failing that is it possible when you did the heads 1/2 a cup of coolant didn't end up in the sump, then during the run it mixed (assuming you didnt flush the oil after) It doesnt take much water/coolant to turn the oil a milky color.....

Nah i lost 1.5L of coolant when i drove it. I wish i could do a pressure test with the inlet manifold off lol. Would give me my answer.

BottleFedVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0L & 80 Series Landcruiser
I have had that happen when i had a 21/2" split in #5 cyl on a ford block but I wouldn't wish that tragedy on anyone.
(It cost me a Good Race engine). :undead:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Why can't you do a pressure test without an inlet manifold ?