Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec Swap running off VR ECU

¡Parto!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive S2
So I have recently gotten to the end of ripping the old Buick out and replacing with an Ecotec. It runs a bit rough but every so often it wants to run like proper **** and dies on decel. I know that the timing is different between the Buicks and ecos, my problem is that I’m stuck at a crossroads not knowing where to go from here. Heard that a greenfoam chip might be the go for plug and play memcals. If anyone knows where or how I could get the timing wound down to run the eco, that would be much appreciated.
TIA

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
PCM hacking should be able to sort you with a memcal. Just tell whoever does it for you that you need an Eco tune to run on a VR PCM.

¡Parto!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive S2
PCM hacking should be able to sort you with a memcal. Just tell whoever does it for you that you need an Eco tune to run on a VR PCM.
No problems I’ll jump over there and have a sus, cheers mate

¡Parto!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive S2
I heard a greenfoam chip should just go straight in. Can’t find anywhere to purchase one, who would I get in contact with and how

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I heard a greenfoam chip should just go straight in. Can’t find anywhere to purchase one, who would I get in contact with and how
i think you have other issues if its running **** a slighty different tune isn't going to fix it. I think greenfoam moved overseas years ago. go back to fault finding

Reactions: Lex

¡Parto!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive S2
i think you have other issues if its running **** a slighty different tune isn't going to fix it. I think greenfoam moved overseas years ago. go back to fault finding
No fault codes or engine light, it did when I first put a battery in, wouldn’t fire at all… but fixed issue since then, spark and fuel is good, pump might need to be replaced soon but I know how dying fuel pumps act. I’m sure it has something to do with the ecu as compression rate is different between the two motors so need to adjust to suit the eco, rather than Buick. It runs alright now but still dies on decel and sounds too lumpy like it has a knock but I know for a fact the engine is mint as it was in my daily before putting it in the vr

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
does it have fuel pressure as in fuel pressure reg leaking?

¡Parto!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive S2
does it have fuel pressure as in fuel pressure reg leaking?
Well I would assume, I’ve taken it up and down the road a few times while sorting things out to make sure it’s mint. It drove and didn’t bog or die. It can idle forever but as soon as I push it above 2500 3k revs when in park or neutral it dies on its way back down. Also every now and then reverse feels super boggy but it does fix itself every now and then. That’s why my suspicion is the computer, it wants to run good but something is telling it to stop. And the ecu is there to do that sort of stuff so you don’t blow your engine if there is a problem

¡Parto!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive S2
also I have seen a bunch of people saying that yes it will need to have memcal or dyno tune

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
My ecotec VR is still running awesome for many years ( is currently out on loan). We did have the stock memcal in for a bit after the conversion and it ran great, but it runs better with the greenfoam memcal that was originally programmed for the stock VR buick engine.
I would say my ecotec VR greenfoam runs the same or better than my daily VS ecotec with ChipTorque.