Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotech running really bad after filling up

dropthaclutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Calais
Hoping someone might have some ideas on my problem.
I have a 1995 vs commodore with t5 box and only mods to engine being a chip and coby exhaust with cat removed.
Went to the gas station in the morning, filled up with shell V-power for the first time and drove to work which was sweet. Started it up at lunch time and it was running extemely rough and had no power. Drove it home, disconnected the battery terminal for 5 mins then started it up and held it at 2000 rpm for about 2 mins and all of a sudden it felt sweet again. Took it for a blast down the road and about 1 minute into the drive it went back to running like a bag of ****.

Any ideas?

Hoping it was just some **** fuel so am getting a fuel filter and going to burn the rest of the fuel then fill up with plain old 91 again and see if that helps.

Also, thought it was possibley air flow meter as when i unplugged it with engine running it didn't run any different, apart from the check engine light coming on it was like i had done nothing to it.

Thanks in advance.

tt turbo vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh 5lt turbo and vs 5lt commodore
hay make sure it didnt over fill and filled up ur charcoal canister if it has when it perges extra fule will be geting into ur engine making it run rough. disconnect ur perge lines to ur engine and see if it runs better. Good luck!

dropthaclutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Calais
Hi thanks for that but I gave it a go and it didn't do anything. I've found that its to do with the 4&1 coil pack. when i unplug both leads it runs exactly the same yet if i disconnect any other lead it runs worse and sparks come out of the coil pack. I tried replacing the faulty 4&1 coil pack however it did nothing. I swapped the faulty one around with a known good one and the faulty one worked sweet and the known good one wasn't working at all which leads me to believe its to do with the spark control unit? Any ideas? Really sick of it running on 4 cylinders!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It sounds like the DFI module is stuffed.(the module the 3 coils sit on)